• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need my fathers last name changed on my Birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spider83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I am trying to find out how to change my fathers last name on my birth certificate change his first and middle name are correct but my mother put my great-grand mothers last name down as his last name now I need it change so that it actually shows his last name the vital records sent me a letter back saying in order to do so I will have to get a court order showing that he is the same person as the person on my birth certificate and it also must show his birth certificate information along with a note telling the Vital records to change it I called the court clerks office where I live to find out how to go about doing this and the girl transfered me to three different people till I finally got a ummm I'm not sure may want to hire a Attorney but I know that I can go about this with out getting a Attorney can someone help me out thanks

seniorjudge

You do need an attorney.

BUT first get a hold of the bureaucrats who issue birth certificates in your state capital. Ask them how this can be done without a lawyer (if at all).

Birth certificates are not easily changed for obvious reasons.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I am trying to find out how to change my fathers last name on my birth certificate change his first and middle name are correct but my mother put my great-grand mothers last name down as his last name now I need it change so that it actually shows his last name the vital records sent me a letter back saying in order to do so I will have to get a court order showing that he is the same person as the person on my birth certificate and it also must show his birth certificate information along with a note telling the Vital records to change it I called the court clerks office where I live to find out how to go about doing this and the girl transfered me to three different people till I finally got a ummm I'm not sure may want to hire a Attorney but I know that I can go about this with out getting a Attorney can someone help me out thanks
Why do you need to change it? Is there a specific reason? I ask because you might get some other useful advice is you explain WHY you need it changed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">