• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

needs to give up parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

misseyelkins

What is the name of your state? north carolina
i have a friend who needs help. ex girlfreind has his child. he didn't want children and she knew that. now she is filing for child support knowing he wants to give up his rights as a parent. child is 2 months old and mother is doing it to try to keep ex in her life.
now he thinks she might even be hacking into email and erasing
emails sent to him from her. what can he do first of all about the child and second about her harrassing him.:confused:

kat1963

Giving up his parental rights will not remove his obligation to pay child support. It only terminates his rights to ever have custody or visitation. In addition, the courts generally do not like to basterdize children. I would not recommend giving up his rights, visitation can not be enforced anyway, so he doesn't have to participate (except financially) if he doesn't want to. The baby was just born, he might change his mind later on down the road. What if something happens to the mother?

If she is harrassing him, he needs to file a complaint against her....but if it's just e-mail, I doubt he can prove it. Get a new e-mail account and use a better password.

KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">