• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

never notified of fathers death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xsteward

I am in NY, but this took place in NJ and Florida, so, I guess Fla is the state

If anyone has any advice I would be greatful to hear it. I'll try and make a long story short.
My parents divorced in 1970 while they had between them four minor children.
After the divorce, my father went to florida to avoid paying child support and disappeared.
His entire side of the family became estranged from ours forever , perhaps to help him hide from us, I'll never really know I guess.
Now here it is more than thirty five years later, I see an obituary for his younger brother, the naming of his surviving sisters assured me this was my uncle .
I contacted them and met with those who are left and in doing so learned that my father had died thirteen years ago intestate in florida. His wife refused to make any attempt to reach his linear children, and had his estate settled without administration.
Do my siblings and I have any recourse?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">