• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Husband Owes Back Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nawtqt

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am getting married and my husband-to-be owes back Federal taxes. Can I be held responsible for them once we are married and how will his credit rating affect mine, which me happens to be excellent at present?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

nawtqt said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

I am getting married and my husband-to-be owes back Federal taxes. Can I be held responsible for them once we are married and how will his credit rating affect mine, which me happens to be excellent at present?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?
DO NOT hold any joint accounts or purchase anything jointly. Keep all of your finances completely separate. Have a professional tax preparer run your taxes as married filing separately, then married filing jointly, to see which way produces the better results. If you file married filing jointly then you also need to file an injurred spouse claim. That will ensure that your share of the refund isn't seized for his back taxes.

However, if you were my client, I would recommend that you not get married until he resolves his tax issues.

nawtqt

Husband To Be's Back Taxes

LdiJ said:
DO NOT hold any joint accounts or purchase anything jointly. Keep all of your finances completely separate. Have a professional tax preparer run your taxes as married filing separately, then married filing jointly, to see which way produces the better results. If you file married filing jointly then you also need to file an injurred spouse claim. That will ensure that your share of the refund isn't seized for his back taxes.

However, if you were my client, I would recommend that you not get married until he resolves his tax issues.
This answer is heartbreaking. But, will I be legally held respsonible for his back taxes once I become his wife?

Gracie3787

nawtqt said:
This answer is heartbreaking. But, will I be legally held respsonible for his back taxes once I become his wife?
Well, according to the law- only he is resonsible. HOWEVER- my sister was in the same situation- she married him, he died 2 yrs later and IRS attached HER wages and HER bank accounts. She went to an attorney who told her that yes, she could get HER $3,000.00 back, but it would take years and cost at least $8,000.00 or more. As she said once- the moral of the story is never marry someone who owes back taxes until AFTER the taxes are paid.

LdiJ

nawtqt said:
As Gracie said, technically no, you wouldn't be legally responsible. However unless you are VERY diligent about keeping all things separate (which means that you also cannot buy a house or car together) then you put yourself at risk. Also, again as Gracie pointed out, if the IRS makes a mistake, your assets could be taken anyway, with the cost of getting them back potentially higher than the value of the assets.

nawtqt

Back Taxes

LdiJ said:
As Gracie said, technically no, you wouldn't be legally responsible. However unless you are VERY diligent about keeping all things separate (which means that you also cannot buy a house or car together) then you put yourself at risk. Also, again as Gracie pointed out, if the IRS makes a mistake, your assets could be taken anyway, with the cost of getting them back potentially higher than the value of the assets.
Thank you. I checked this out with an income tax person and was told as long as I keep my taxes separate and file separately, I would not be held responsible for his back taxes.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">