• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Spouse Debt Liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vslane68

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan and/or North Carolina

This is in regards to Michigan and North Carolina law. I will be getting married in Michigan in the next several months, and subsequently moving to North Carolina.

I have a large quantity of existing debt that I will be bringing into my marriage... will my spouse in any way be liable for that pre-existing debt? Is there any type of contract/pre-marriage agreement that can be drafted in order to clearly state that the debt is mine alone, to which he bears no responsibility whatsoever?

I am paying it off slowly, but I want it known to all (including him) that he bears no responsibility for my past actions and situations which have led to the outstanding debt.

Any suggestions on how to proceed... or is he automatically exempted from liability as long as the debt was incurred prior to our marriage?

Thank you for any insight which can be offered.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

nextwife

However, any accounts, assets to which you add your name could be subject to lien, judgment or seizure, so keep all your accounts, and any real estate acquired seperately held.

sunshine11111

Prior debt to marriage. New spouse responsible?

I am new here and not sure I should post this question here.....

In the state of South Carolina will my new husband be responsible for my prior to marriage debt.

Any answers would be appreciated!

Thank you.

LdiJ

I am new here and not sure I should post this question here.....

In the state of South Carolina will my new husband be responsible for my prior to marriage debt.

Any answers would be appreciated!

Thank you.
Start your own thread to ask your question...don't hijack another thread...particularly an old thread,

However...if you read the answers to this thread, it should be clear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">