• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NewtotheFamily

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TPMeEC

What is the name of your state? TX
I have be married to my husband for 3yrs, he has three children from previous marriage, we have none. My concern is, if he dies are his kids able to legally take everything WE established together from me? The house is in my name only, althought we purchased it after we married. I make a really good salary, so does he. What steps should take to protect myself?

seniorjudge

How old are the kids?

(By the way, the best answer is to get yourself and your husband to the best estate planning attorney you can find. Ask around.)

garrula lingua

His half of the community property goes to his kids if he dies without a will.

Texas allows a "Survivorship Agreement' between spouses - it essentially states that all community property is held as 'community property with right of survivorship'; that would protect some of your property if Husband doesn't execute a will giving you his half of the community property.

Putting the property into a trust would also accomplish the goal of protecting your interests.

So, you have three mechanisms to prevent his kids from inheriting Dad's portion of the com ppy: 1. Survivorship Agreement 2. Will 3. Trust

LdiJ

And another way to make dad feel better about disinheriting his children, is for dad to buy a whole life policy with them as the beneficiaries. That way he could leave them something while still protecting you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">