• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ - ex wife owes health coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

njwilly

in our divorce aggrement my ex wife was to provide medical insurance coverage. soon after she ouit her job to start a business. she asked if i would pick up coverage through my employer. i agreed if she would pay me the differance between $9 for just myself and $83 bi-weekly for family, or $74 every other week. she agreed and paid for a almost a year but she would only pay every 2 to 3 months after phone calls and letters. She now owes almost $500. I get no reply to letters she will not pick up register mail, and hangs up on the mention of the matter on the phone. custody of tyhe children was agreed at 50/50 but the three children have live with me full time over 2-1/2 years and i have sought no other support other than the insurance payments. the only support payments in our divorce agreement is if all three children live with her for a 5 continious days I owe her $80 for that week only. is this a family or small claims matter, what options do i have on collecting from her. mercer county, n.j.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

njwilly said:
in our divorce aggrement my ex wife was to provide medical insurance coverage. soon after she ouit her job to start a business. she asked if i would pick up coverage through my employer. i agreed if she would pay me the differance between $9 for just myself and $83 bi-weekly for family, or $74 every other week. she agreed and paid for a almost a year but she would only pay every 2 to 3 months after phone calls and letters. She now owes almost $500. I get no reply to letters she will not pick up register mail, and hangs up on the mention of the matter on the phone. custody of tyhe children was agreed at 50/50 but the three children have live with me full time over 2-1/2 years and i have sought no other support other than the insurance payments. the only support payments in our divorce agreement is if all three children live with her for a 5 continious days I owe her $80 for that week only. is this a family or small claims matter, what options do i have on collecting from her. mercer county, n.j.
My response:

You have two choices :

1. Take her back to Family court for Contempt of Court proceedings; for which, she'll get a matching pair of bracelets and 3 squares per day while she enjoys County accomodations; or,

2. You can sue her in Small Claims court. Remember, your divorce decree is nothing more than a contract; so, you'll be suing her for Breach of Contract. It's quicker, cheaper, and very effective.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">