• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ Legal Serving??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Trotter

I have lived in NY for 3.5 years. My wife lives in NJ. I have filed for a NY divorce even though my wife and property are in NJ. I went through the procedure of hiring a serving co. as directed by my NY attorney. After doing this, my wife filed for divorce in NJ. She stated this divorce was not already filed in any other domain on her motion. Her attorney sent me a certified letter containing the motion. As per advice by my NY attorney, I did not sign the enclosure. My NY attorney told me I was not properly served from NJ. My questions are, was I properly served? If not, how long after filing do they have to serve me? And, was my wife's filing illegal since she stated this wasn't being pursued in any other state? Thanks for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">