• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ- Live In girlfriend won't move out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rabbit732

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hamburg, NJ
My girlfriend of 2 years has been living with me in my townhouse for just about 1 year now. She has a 4 year old daughter (from a previous marriage) who also lives in my house. Over the past 8-9 months our relationship has diminished drastically, to the point where we can barely be in the same room together. We got engaged back in February and broke the engagement off in July. We fight constantly and just can't get past it. She has said she is going to move out, but never does, she doesn't even look for a place. I have now told her I want her to move out, but again, she isn't doing anything about it.
I own the house and all of the bills are in my name. She doesn't pay rent, although she pays a couple of the bills (phone and gas). She does have her mail delivered to the house and her daughter is in the Hamburg School System (pre-k).
What rights does my girlfriend have in this situation? What rights do I have? Do I have to give her notice to move out? If so, how much notice and how should it be given, ie- certified letter, attorney letter, verbal etc?
Can I pack her belongings and move them out? Should I contact the local police to make them aware of the situation? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:

LdiJ

My girlfriend of 2 years has been living with me in my townhouse for just about 1 year now. She has a 4 year old daughter (from a previous marriage) who also lives in my house. Over the past 8-9 months our relationship has diminished drastically, to the point where we can barely be in the same room together. We got engaged back in February and broke the engagement off in July. We fight constantly and just can't get past it. She has said she is going to move out, but never does, she doesn't even look for a place. I have now told her I want her to move out, but again, she isn't doing anything about it.
I own the house and all of the bills are in my name. Although she pays a couple of the bills (phone and gas). She does have her mail delivered to the house and her daughter is in the Hamburg School System (pre-k).
What rights does my girlfriend have in this situation? What rights do I have? Do I have to give her notice to move out? If so, how much notice and how should it be given, ie- certified letter, attorney letter, verbal etc?
Can I pack her belongings and move them out? Should I contact the local police to make them aware of the situation? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
You would have to formally evict her, via the guidelines/standards outlined in your state's eviction laws.

Julie17

I belive she has something called "squatters" rights. I'm not sure if this is a technical term or not. I don't think you can pack her things up and move her out, this might open you up to a small claims suit from her. I would suggest giving her an appropriate eviction, look up the laws of your state on this.

Silverplum

I belive she has something called "squatters" rights. I'm not sure if this is a technical term or not. I don't think you can pack her things up and move her out, this might open you up to a small claims suit from her. I would suggest giving her an appropriate eviction, look up the laws of your state on this. I'm just putting in my 2 cents!
Hush. You're not qualified to give advice, obviously. If you can't offer anything other than vague nonsense, stop.

We shall feel free to give you vague nonsensical "advice" on YOUR thread, if you keep it up.

cyjeff

I own the house and all of the bills are in my name. Although she pays a couple of the bills (phone and gas). She does have her mail delivered to the house and her daughter is in the Hamburg School System (pre-k).

Thank you.
You start eviction proceedings as you would on any other tenant.

I recommend first, however, that you hide your good stuff and anything breakable/throwable. Getting an eviction notice from a live in lover is going to lead to an interesting evening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">