• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-biological parenting rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ilmks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My girlfriend and her ex-husband have been divorced for 7 years and he has had no contact with or provided financial support for their three children since then. We want for me to be able to put the kids on my medical insurance, fill-out their paperwork for the many sporting teams they play for, and be able to have the right to approve medical treatment for the kids when she is not available. We are both female, so is there custodial agreement which would not require us to track down their father to terminate his parental rights?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Get married which will solve the medical insurance aspect. You are in california so you have that option. Oh and you are NOT a parent. You would then only be a stepparent which is STILL a legal stranger.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My girlfriend and her ex-husband have been divorced for 7 years and he has had no contact with or provided financial support for their three children since then. We want for me to be able to put the kids on my medical insurance, fill-out their paperwork for the many sporting teams they play for, and be able to have the right to approve medical treatment for the kids when she is not available. We are both female, so is there custodial agreement which would not require us to track down their father to terminate his parental rights?
Ohiogal gave you an answer for the medical insurance. For the rest, a Power of Attorney would work just fine.

Ilmks

Thanks Ohiogal and Ldj

I appreciate your helpful input. We will look into the power of attorney and very likely the marriage as well :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">