• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-custodial parent buys 15yo daughter drugs/alcohol?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mvalencia1975

TEXAS

As ridiculous as this sounds... is there anything I can do about this??

I have custody of my daughter due to her mother allowing her and underage friends to party and drink at her home when she was 12 years old. She has been jailed once and ticketed a second time for the same thing. Now she has graduated to buying my daughter and her friends K2/Spice/fake weed and letting them smoke while in her custody. During the under-age drinking incident, I was told that only the friend's parents can press charges since she is "technically" allowed to drink in her mother's presence...

What can I do so that I DO NOT have to let my daughter spend any unsupervised time with her mother AND have the mother charged with some sort of crime. This CAN NOT be okay..

Any information is enormously appreciated.

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What do you want the police to do?
March 5, 2010 -- K2, Spice Gold, and dozens of other currently legal "herbal incense" products are spiked with powerful designer drugs -- and they don't show up in drug tests.

As early as 2004, this type of product began appearing for sale on the Internet and in head shops in Europe. By 2008, sales throughout Europe soared; U.S. and Canada sales took off in 2009.

"I believe it is everywhere in the United States," Marilyn Huestis, PhD, chief of chemistry and drug metabolism at the National Institute for Drug Abuse, tells WebMD.

Package labels feature psychedelic art and claim that the contents are a mixture of various herbs. But unlike smoking the herbs listed on the label, smoking the products produces effects similar to those of marijuana, hashish, and other forms of cannabis.

"Hospitals in Europe began to report instances where a person appeared with all the symptoms of cannabis intoxication, but their drug screen was negative," Huestis says.
Unless it is one of the following (and not all Spice or K2 is one of the following) JWH-018, JWH-073, JWH-200, CP-47,497, and cannabicyclohexanol, it is legal:
Editor's note: On March 1, 2011, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration invoked its "emergency scheduling authority" to make most "legal high" products illegal. The relatively inactive herbs used in these products are spiked with potent designer drugs. The DEA action applies to five of these drugs: JWH-018, JWH-073, JWH-200, CP-47,497, and cannabicyclohexanol. The drugs are now on the DEA's Schedule I, meaning they have no accepted medical use and high potential for abuse. The emergency action will remain in effect for a year, during which time the government is expected to call for permanent control of the drugs.
Mom cannot be arrested for LEGAL stuff she is giving daughter.
Also read:
Information On K2 Spice and K2 Herb Free Articles Directory
NMS Labs - K2, Spice and Synthetic Marijauna information for parents

Indiana Filer

Maybe none. Because someone can use K2 and not test positive for anything.
Actually, there is testing for K2 and similar substances. At our department, we have to use a different lab than usual, and the testing costs more, but we can get K2 testing.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually, there is testing for K2 and similar substances. At our department, we have to use a different lab than usual, and the testing costs more, but we can get K2 testing.
I stand corrected. All the info I found stated that it would not yield a positive result if these substances were used. (Not all that up to date apparently on the "new" drugs.)

Mvalencia1975

PQN - I came across the information in her room, written on some paper, in her handwriting with specific dates, activities and individuals involved. Since posting this, we have talked to the police... The detective (the same one that has dealt with the mother in the previous 3 incidents) said nothing can really be done since she is a parent (a piss-poor one) and apologized to us for having to deal with such a worthless individual.

Isis1 - We are looking into finding out if there are any newer tests that can detect the K2/Spice/Fake weed accurately at this time. But what would a positive test result tell us that we don't already know?

To be honest, we are not naive in knowing what "kids these days" are up to, nor that they will do things that us as teens have possibly done that us as parents know is wrong. We just have a huge problem with her Mother being the one to introduce her to these things. IMO, teens that have to go through alot of trouble to sneak drugs and/or alcohol is one of the main differences between a child "experimenting" with such things and it just being a phase and a child that ends up letting drugs/alcohol consume them for the rest of their lives. Just my .02

Ohiogal - Regardless of it's technical legality, if it is meant to mimick an illegal drug... it is illegal in my book. (i.e. buying spray paint is legal, doesn't make sniffing paint okay) If a child had a friend that was getting high and was influencing their child to do so, any decent parent would do whatever they could to keep their child away from that kid. The problem is, our "bad seed kid" is my child's own mother.

That is where our problem lies... Can we do anything to keep her visits with her mother to a minimum?

I appreciate the replies...

Silverplum

PQN - I came across the information in her room, written on some paper, in her handwriting with specific dates, activities and individuals involved. Since posting this, we have talked to the police... The detective (the same one that has dealt with the mother in the previous 3 incidents) said nothing can really be done since she is a parent (a piss-poor one) and apologized to us for having to deal with such a worthless individual.

Isis1 - We are looking into finding out if there are any newer tests that can detect the K2/Spice/Fake weed accurately at this time. But what would a positive test result tell us that we don't already know?

To be honest, we are not naive in knowing what "kids these days" are up to, nor that they will do things that us as teens have possibly done that us as parents know is wrong. We just have a huge problem with her Mother being the one to introduce her to these things. IMO, teens that have to go through alot of trouble to sneak drugs and/or alcohol is one of the main differences between a child "experimenting" with such things and it just being a phase and a child that ends up letting drugs/alcohol consume them for the rest of their lives. Just my .02

Ohiogal - Regardless of it's technical legality, if it is meant to mimick an illegal drug... it is illegal in my book. (i.e. buying spray paint is legal, doesn't make sniffing paint okay) If a child had a friend that was getting high and was influencing their child to do so, any decent parent would do whatever they could to keep their child away from that kid. The problem is, our "bad seed kid" is my child's own mother.

That is where our problem lies... Can we do anything to keep her visits with her mother to a minimum?I appreciate the replies...
You're NOT interested in what's legal, except in your "book" -- but you ARE interested in using legal means to restrict Mom's parenting time.

*unimpressed*

Isis1

That is where our problem lies... Can we do anything to keep her visits with her mother to a minimum?

I appreciate the replies...
please believe me when i say i agree with you in every sense. however legally is all that matters in a court room. legallity is all that counts in getting a court order to minimize court ordered time.

actually, using spray paint in a manner in which is was not intended, is a crime. and in texas. i googled.

so you need to work with what you can prove. prove the child is getting the items from mom. prove the child is using such items. that should be your game plan.

is your child seeing a doctor regularly? a therapist?

Mvalencia1975

You're NOT interested in what's legal, except in your "book" -- but you ARE interested in using legal means to restrict Mom's parenting time.

*unimpressed*
Wow, you just summarized my entire paragraph in one pretty straightforward sentence.

*impressed*

My "book"??? I don't feel I am the only one that has these similar pages in this supposed "book".

Restrict Mom's "parenting time"??? If that is what you call parenting, your being *unimpressed* doesn't concern me.

Thanks anyways.

Silverplum

Wow, you just summarized my entire paragraph in one pretty straightforward sentence.

*impressed*

My "book"??? I don't feel I am the only one that has these similar pages in this supposed "book".

Restrict Mom's "parenting time"??? If that is what you call parenting, your being *unimpressed* doesn't concern me.

Thanks anyways.
So there you go, walking your walk and talking your talk.

Mvalencia1975

please believe me when i say i agree with you in every sense. however legally is all that matters in a court room. legallity is all that counts in getting a court order to minimize court ordered time.

actually, using spray paint in a manner in which is was not intended, is a crime. and in texas. i googled.

so you need to work with what you can prove. prove the child is getting the items from mom. prove the child is using such items. that should be your game plan.

is your child seeing a doctor regularly? a therapist?
Thank you for your response. When I posted the question, I assumed that since most K2/Spice was illegal, we would just go to the authorities and press charges. The detective called back and informed us otherwise, so now we are doing just that. Getting as much info as we can.

Seems like there is really nothing we can do about her allowing our daughter to use drugs/alcohol. BUT, we might be able to get the parents of the other children involved to go to the authorities and then take it from there. This is familiar territory to us since she has been arrested once and ticketed once for the exact same situation but involving alcohol and minors. The other children's parents had to get the ball rolling. Which they were more than willing to do.

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">