• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not father on birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usernames

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I have a three and a half year old daughter who has the last name of my boyfriend at the time of her birth. He knows he's not the biological father and was ok with that and still is. Now that we have split up ( a year ago ) he continues to want to play the father roll. I didn't have a problem with that at first until my daughter started saying things like " I'll mind you when you start minding daddy", and after being with him for the weekend she comes back to me and doesn't listen and is just a terror to myself and my new boyfriend. I know that he is telling her to act like this and has become a bad influence on her. Since then I have not let her see him. He cannot let go of me and is using her to make my life as miserable as he can. My question is , how do I go about getting him off the birth certificate and getting him out of our lifes. Does he have any legal rights? What steps do I take and what forms do I need. Please help.

nextwife

Honey, YOU chose to make him this child's LEGAL father. He has every right to want to stay involved in his daughter's life. His relationship as father is not now disposable just like that. He has a right to file for shared custody or visitation, or even custody (not that it would be granted). But you can't legally COMMIT a man to fatherhood of a child, and then, when YOU no longer find it convenient, just decide he's no longer Dad - especially if you have had him filling the father role her whole life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">