• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not the father, but listed on the Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DaniM1966

What is the name of your state? michigan, but the child was born in arkansas.

my 18-year old nephew is "in love" with a 17-year old girl who just had another boy's baby. evidentally, when my nephew was visiting this girl in arkansas (she was giving birth when he got there) and they decided that he would put his name on the birth certificate. my sister is furious about this since it's her last name also and the baby is not her grandchild. does she have any legal avenues to take to get her son's name off the birth certificate? a paternity test will show he is not the father.:mad:

usmcfamily

Your sister has no legal avenues available to her and unfortunately for your nephew he just signed his name to a very expensive dotted line. By claiming paternity (by signing) he has obligated himself to provide support to that child for the next 18-21 years even though he is NOT the father.......until he goes through the long and expensive process of proving otherwise and even then he may still be held accountable for it until the real father is found and proven the father and assigned the responsibility. It is sad that he didn't stop to REALLY think about the reprecussions of his actions.......this will be a costly lesson to him.......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">