• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not married -with children, want to leave him

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lauracet

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri
I have been living with a man for 5 years. We have 2 small children ages 2 & 4. He has been verbally and physically abusive to me for a good part of the relationship. He does as he pleases, ignores me and spends little time with the children. (he does not abuse them at all) I have seperated from him once before, but could not make it on my own. I want to leave. I can't take it anymore. He makes life so hard for me. I am in school about 30 hrs a week, I watch 2 other children than mine for 20+ hours a week, and work Sat and Sundays for 28 or more hours. I am constantly put down, held hostage, and punished for not keeping up with housework, etc. He helps with nothing at all. He works 40 hrs a week and thats it. He has ruined our finances, and I am reduced to floating checks (out of my account)for diapers, food, etc. We are 1100.00 behind in bills, HIS account is 500.00+ negative, and he has bounced at least 4 unpaid checks. I cant live like this. My father has recently passed away, and I was wondering if it is legal for me to leave him, move out of state with the children to be with my Mom. Do I have to go through the system to do this? I am scared of what he may do to me, and the accusations that he may come up with. I am not perfect, but I take care of my children and dont abuse drugs,etc.

BelizeBreeze

You know, you didn't need all of that "poor me" crap. All you had to say was, "Single, children, living together...can I leave" and the response would have been the same without having to subject us to the soap opera.

The answer is yes, as of now the children do NOT have a father.

Lauracet

I wasnt trying to give you a poor me story. I was trying to give an example of my life with this person. This was the first time I posted and you really made me feel like crap. Is this how people treat other people in bad situations? If so I wont ask for anymore help or advice. Go ahead and kick me when I am already down. Why such negativity?
As far as an answer from you, you gave me nothing, just complaints.

MomAlicia

I'm not an attorney, but can definitely feel for you in your situation. If you are afraid of him, file an exparte order immediately. My ex-husband stalked me and tried to kill me. I found out the hard way that, unfortunately, you probably should take the kids and leave the state immediately. The worst he can do is sue you for visitation IF he knows where you are to have you served. Hope this helps!

BelizeBreeze

MomAlicia said:
I'm not an attorney, but can definitely feel for you in your situation. If you are afraid of him, file an exparte order immediately. My ex-husband stalked me and tried to kill me. I found out the hard way that, unfortunately, you probably should take the kids and leave the state immediately. The worst he can do is sue you for visitation IF he knows where you are to have you served. Hope this helps!
Oh Brother. What kind of crap is this? First of all, how do YOU know this woman is telling the truth? You don't. And even if she is, your advice is worthless. HE can't file for anything until paternity has been established. HE has no rights whatsoever.

Also, how do YOU know her name isn't on the lease/rental agreement? You Don't. So, you have advised her to place all future assets in jeopardy.

Get real. the ONLY advice that can be given based on the pollyanna story is yes, she can leave. PERIOD. all the rest depends on a LOT of factors, none of which this poster seems able to provide.

brighteyes50

I See Belizebreze Is Very Compassionate Towards Other Human Beings In Pain And Confusion. I Can Tell You This, If Your Children's Father Signed Their Birth Certificates, Then He Is Legally Their Father. But From What You Have Express, I Don't Think He Would Make A Very Good Father To Them. If You Stay With Him, Your Children Will See How He Treats You And Eventually, He Will Treat The Children In The Same Manner. Is That What You Want? If Not, I Would Leave Asap And Make A Life For Yourself And Children That You Would Be Proud Of. Good Luck And May God Bless You And Help You To Make This Life Changing Decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">