• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure where to post this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalese

Connecticut

My Uncle lives in Florida and I live in Connecticut. He never married and is 85 years old, he also has a lung problem. A few years ago he met a husband and wife from Ohio who he took in and help take care of him. We think that they may be taking advantage of him. Recently i tried to call him on the phone all of the numbers that i had and they were all disconnected so i called te police on Christmas day to go by his house and check on him. He was okay and his new roomates said they had been trying to call but of course they still haven't, I want to protect him in case these two people will take advantage of him, I don't have power of attorney. Is there anything I can do? Because of his lung problem not enough oxygen gets to his brain
( he is on oxygen now) it impairs his judgement. Any advice would be helpful

legalese

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Connecticut

My Uncle lives in Florida and I live in Connecticut. He never married and is 85 years old, he also has a lung problem. A few years ago he met a husband and wife from Ohio who he took in and help take care of him. We think that they may be taking advantage of him. Recently i tried to call him on the phone all of the numbers that i had and they were all disconnected so i called te police on Christmas day to go by his house and check on him. He was okay and his new roomates said they had been trying to call but of course they still haven't, I want to protect him in case these two people will take advantage of him, I don't have power of attorney. Is there anything I can do? Because of his lung problem not enough oxygen gets to his brain
( he is on oxygen now) it impairs his judgement. Any advice would be helpful

legalese
So these people have been taking care of him for two years and you NOW think he is being taken advantage of? Why is that? What you describe is NOT illegal nor having advantage taken.

quincy

Connecticut

... Recently i tried to call him on the phone all of the numbers that i had and they were all disconnected so i called te police on Christmas day to go by his house and check on him. He was okay and his new roomates said they had been trying to call but of course they still haven't, I want to protect him in case these two people will take advantage of him, I don't have power of attorney. Is there anything I can do? Because of his lung problem not enough oxygen gets to his brain
( he is on oxygen now) it impairs his judgement. ...

legalese
I do not know if this could apply in your uncle's situation or not, legalese, but it is entirely possible that the couple caretaking your uncle may have changed his phone numbers in an effort TO protect him from being taken advantage of, especially if his judgment is impaired.

Many elderly people find themselves the targets of unscrupulous callers and visitors who manage to capture from the elderly their social security numbers and credit card account numbers and bank account numbers. They use all sorts of tactics. Many elderly people, not raised in an era of telephone scammers and credit-card crooks, and not aware that there are those who go door-to-door with nefarious purpose, do not understand how dangerous it is to allow strangers into their homes, or to provide financial information and personal identifying information over the phone.

Changing numbers, having unlisted numbers, letting voice message systems pick up all calls - these are all ways an elderly person can protect him or herself from scammers. It is often harder to impress on the elderly the importance of not opening doors to strangers.

Just something to think about, perhaps.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Changing numbers, having unlisted numbers, letting voice message systems pick up all calls - these are all ways an elderly person can protect him or herself from scammers. It is often harder to impress on the elderly the importance of not opening doors to strangers.

Ditto. My parents put in a landline when they moved in, and I have made it clear that they should not pick up unless they recognize the number or voice. If they aren't near caller ID? So bro or I have to wait a minute. Oh well. Or whoever will get a call back.

LdiJ

Ditto. My parents put in a landline when they moved in, and I have made it clear that they should not pick up unless they recognize the number or voice. If they aren't near caller ID? So bro or I have to wait a minute. Oh well. Or whoever will get a call back.
I have a cute story about something like that. The son of one of my elderly clients had seriously impressed upon his mother that she was NEVER permitted to give her social security number over the phone to anyone.

She came into our office because she had a tax problem, and we ended up needing to call the IRS. I had to put her on the phone to authorize the IRS to speak to me. She refused to give the IRS her social security number because her son told her she was not allowed to do so! So, we were unable to deal with her problem.

Later on that day her son called me...VERY UPSET that we had not handled his mother's problem. I explained to him what had happened and he got totally silent for a moment...and then said "well, maybe I overdid that just bit".:D

legalese

I do not know if this could apply in your uncle's situation or not, legalese, but it is entirely possible that the couple caretaking your uncle may have changed his phone numbers in an effort TO protect him from being taken advantage of, especially if his judgment is impaired.

Many elderly people find themselves the targets of unscrupulous callers and visitors who manage to capture from the elderly their social security numbers and credit card account numbers and bank account numbers. They use all sorts of tactics. Many elderly people, not raised in an era of telephone scammers and credit-card crooks, and not aware that there are those who go door-to-door with nefarious purpose, do not understand how dangerous it is to allow strangers into their homes, or to provide financial information and personal identifying information over the phone.

Yeah, but that is off becasue both of them do not work for many years they live off of him. If what you are saying was true why not give his new phone numbers to any family member? He does not have a new number I think to isolate them from his family so they can live off him for as long as possible. Back to my question what can I do if anything?

legalese

legalese

So these people have been taking care of him for two years and you NOW think he is being taken advantage of? Why is that? What you describe is NOT illegal nor having advantage taken.
I don't know they are taking advantage but these two have not worked for years so they live off of him 100%

legalese

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't know they are taking advantage but these two have not worked for years so they live off of him 100%

legalese
You don't know this, though. Perhaps they have independent means. Perhaps he pays them a reasonable amount. You really apparently have no idea what the arrangement is.

Eekamouse

If you're that concerned, why aren't you on your way down to where he's at to pack him up and move him back to live with you so you can take care of him yourself?

Ladyback1

legalese
And if they are taking care of him, why shouldn't they be compensated in some way???

If you truly believe that they are taking advantage of your uncle, then you should get yourself down there and figure out what is going on.

OHRoadwarrior

It seems they are performing a service for which they deserve compensation. It does not appear his family has anything other than a financial interest in his well being.

legalese

It seems they are performing a service for which they deserve compensation. It does not appear his family has anything other than a financial interest in his well being.
I will try to answer all of you First off I don't want to be his POA I was just letting you know. These two people have very little money ( Iknow for a fact) they live off of him. You should also know he does not have much money. In fact he borrowed about $100.000 from our cousin in Italy to buy some homes to rent and they are is disrepair, only one he gets rent from. I might add my cousin wants his money back but our uncle never calls him because he can't he can't pay him back now, if ever and his two live friends are living off of that money. WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR MONEY JUST ARE CONCERNED THAT HE IS NOW, OR WILL BE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF IN THE FUTURE. I can't get a working telephone number from them i can't contact him in any way. Got it now? If I go to Florida I need advice on what I can do that is why i am asking, but you guys are too busy being suspicious. Thanks anyway.

legalese

Last edited:

Silverplum

I will try to answer all of you First off I don't want to be his POA I was just letting you know. These two people have very little money ( Iknow for a fact) they live off of him. You should also know he does not have much money. In fact he borrowed about $100.000 from our cousin in Italy to buy some homes to rent and they are is disrepair, only one he gets rent from. I might add my cousin wants his money back but our uncle never calls him because he can't he can't pay him back now, if ever and his two live friends are living off of that money. WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR MONEY JUST ARE CONCERNED THAT HE IS NOW, OR WILL BE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF IN THE FUTURE. I can't get a working telephone number from them i can't contact him in any way. Got it now? If I go to Florida I need advice on what I can do that is why i am asking you guys, but now i see you don't have a clue. Thanks anyway.

legalese
Alrighty, then.

quincy

... but now i see you don't have a clue. ...
Col. Mustard in the conservatory. But still not sure if it's a candlestick or lead pipe. ;)

Suggestions:
1. Go to Florida and knock on the door. If there is no answer, call the police and have them do a welfare check.
2. Speak with your uncle in person when in Florida and see if he wants to return to Connecticut with you. Make arrangements for moving and travel (if yes).
3. Speak with the couple caretaking your uncle. See if they are really as despicable as you think they are. If they are not, go back to Connecticut after your visit.
4. If the couple is as despicable as you think they are, and you do not want your uncle staying with you in Connecticut, look for a person or persons who want to caretake an elderly person who is on oxygen. Help make arrangements for paying the new caretaker(s).
5. Send $100 to the cousin on your uncle's behalf. That will at least take care of that problem. You could also help your uncle fix up his rentals. That would be nice.
6. Get a cell phone for your uncle to use. Or get his current number while at his residence.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">