• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

notarized document when kids stay with grandparents for the summer???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ShenaMarie

We are relocating from Missouri to Nebraska. My kids grandma (their father's mom) has volunteered to keep them for two months while I go and get things n order. Their father hasn't been involved in their life much especially since we separated two years ago. No support of any kind no phone calls no visits but yet he doesn't like the idea of us moving; so my family says I need to make up a document for me and their grandma to sign and get notarized to protect mine and my kids happiness so none can say I abandoned them and try to take over custody or get child support etc. What are some key points I need to touch on when I make up this document? I want to cover everything possible. Please help?!

CdwJava

Additionally, if dad has visitation or shared legal custody, he may be able to take custody of the kids if they are left with the grandparents. If you plan to do this you really need to work with a Family Law attorney.

OHRoadwarrior

If their real father has been adjudicated through marriage, paternity or some other court approved method as their dad, he can immediately petition for custody ex parte based on you abandoning them with his mother.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
However, what you may want to do is speak with a pediatrician and/or hospital local to Grandma as to what documentation they may need should the children be seen in your absence. Most hospitals have a form to fill out. When I left the kids with my parents for more than a few days, I made sure a current form was on file with the local hospital, and additionally had a notarized letter simply stating that my parents had my permission to seek medical care and make appropriate medical decisions based on the situation for Child X (dob 11-22-3333) and Child Y (dob 44-55-6666), while Grandparents are caring for them between Dates A and B. Included a copy of the insurance card. That should help buttress a potential counter-claim for you regarding abandonment.

However, you HAVE (or are planning to) provide Dad with the state required notice of relocation, yes? And you know that he has the right to petition against the children being moved, correct? And that you may be denied the ability to move them until you receive the go ahead from the court? Leaving the kids for two months could open the door for Dad wrt custody. Abandonment or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">