• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online Ordained Minister - Legal Marriage in Westchester County NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am trying to determine the legality of a marriage performed by an 'ordained online minister' in Westchester County New York. I am locating conflicting information - some of which indicates that such a marriage officiated by a minister 'ordained' online is legal and other information indicating that in 5 southern counties in NY State - of which Westchester is one - such a marriage is NOT legal. Thank you for any info.

FlyingRon

New York is one of the states that specifically will not recognize "mail order" ministers. They specifically have invalidated marriages solemnized by people "ordained" by the such organizations as the ULC.

Sorry, you'll have to go elsewhere if you want to marry people with those credentials. Virginia is right out as well.

tranquility

Come to California! Here it seems most anything is acceptable.

As to what happens to one not married by a legally ordained minster, I suspect NY will follow the same path of many other states. It is the license that matters and not the ceremony.

FlyingRon

Come to California! Here it seems most anything is acceptable.

As to what happens to one not married by a legally ordained minster, I suspect NY will follow the same path of many other states. It is the license that matters and not the ceremony.
I don't know what state you're referring to, but NONE of the ones out here work that way. New York specifically has a slew of case law where ULC ministers haved performed the ceremony and signed the license and these were held to be INVALID marriages and anulled. Here in Virginia, they won't accept the completed license back if the person isn't an authorized officiant (although, becoming appointed a civil officiant is just a matter of posting a small bond).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">