• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The other man

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sterling808

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio, Lake County.
My wife and I separated for 8 months. She leased an apartment near where she worked. She was the sole name on the lease. My youngest son lived with her. She spent 8 months seeing a man she went to high School with. The man lived 65 miles away but was not working and therefore constantly at her apartment. The fellow bought her an apartment size washer and dryer, used for about $250.00 as a gift. He took her car for repairs to have her brake lines fixed without asking her he just had it done one day while she was working to surprise her. Now that the relationship is over he is demanding the washer and dryer be returned to him and wants restitution for the car repairs. My wife and I have reconcilled. She has since moved home. We brought the washer and dryer home with us as mine are broken. He wants to sue my wife for the car repairs and the cost of the washer and dryer. My feeling is that the items were given as gifts during their 8 months long relationship and possession, dispite him having reciepts, is 9/10th of the law. What do you think. Gifts or perks of the relationship. Should the money and the appliances be returned?

Last edited:

CourtClerk

They are gifts. Your wife can keep the stuff her boyfriend bought her so that she and her husband can use them.

As an aside: how nasty is it that you actually WANT the stuff that her boyfriend bought her in your house so that you have a constant reminder that some man was screwing your wife and paid for it with a washer and dryer and some car repairs?

To each his own I guess :confused:

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Do you have an attorney? Discuss this with your attorney. But quite frankly you are looking at gifts that your wife can keep as they were given to her.

sterling808

1. The guy would never look me in the eye when picking up the kids he would just look straight ahead, my wifes car by the way.
2. He made the car repaires of his own accord I don't think I should chunk the whole car because he had it repaired.
3. The simple fact that he bought the washer and dryer, yet failed to address and or engage me at any level during their relationship. Ok, yes I supposed I am a little vindictive.
4. I am a christian man married for 20 years with 3 teen age children. I can forgive her as part of the issue was due to a recently diagnosed depression for which she finally sought treatment. As a medical professinal I saw this fdeveloping for several years refusung to seek treatment, I let her go. You cannot force someone to seek treatment for depression in this state. At my age you start realizing alot of things about people you see your priorities and values a little differently. As the only woman I really ever loved it was hard to see her go and admittedly probrobly even harder to have her come back. What is a christian if not to practice forgiveness.
5. However what of the man who lead her down this path, admitting it takes two but had he not presented himself, rather underhandedly I might add perhaps she and I would have been able to seek the help our relationship needed.

Short of that I have no problem hanging onto the washer and dryer lest he wishes to come to my home and claim them. That option was indeed offered but he has chosen to forego that option in favor of taking my wife to court. You see a coward refusing to face the mess in which he helped to create opting only to challange the woman, in lies his power.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">