• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent harassing adult child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

happynow

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I was severly abused as a child, this has been documented, my problem is that this parent is trying to get into contact with me. I have clearly let this person know that I want to be left alone.

Just yesterday they had a familtymember contact me and say you know that everyone is scared of them. What legal rights do I have to get this person out of my life and what steps do I need to take so I do not have to continue with this.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Change your phone numbers. Move. Change email addresses. Tell family that you don't want to hear anything else about/from this person, and if the message passers can't comply, cut off contact with said passers.

Not a lot you can do at this point other than that. Now, if the parent starts contacting you directly, following you, etc, then you can contact your local law enforcement to file incident reports, take that to the courthouse and get a restraining order. But until that happens, there's not a lot you can do, as far as the legal system goes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">