• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent providing minor with alcohol...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrdexter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washinton State...
My husband, (daughters step dad), decided to supply my daughter with alcohol, as he thought it would be better to have her at home drinking, rather then out with whomever. (In his mind this was safer...) Once I found out, I put an end to the entire practice.

Now my ex is threatening to take away both my children...He tells me he can make it so I will never see them again...Do I need to hire a lawyer?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

My husband, (daughters step dad), decided to supply my daughter with alcohol, as he thought it would be better to have her at home drinking, rather then out with whomever. (In his mind this was safer...) Once I found out, I put an end to the entire practice.

Now my ex is threatening to take away both my children...He tells me he can make it so I will never see them again...Do I need to hire a lawyer?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No, your ex cannot take away your children and make it so that you can never see them again. You put a stop to the practice as soon as you found out about it. I cannot guarantee that it won't cause you some grief in court, but he absolutely cannot make it so that you can never see your children again.

If he files anything in court, THEN you hire an attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Legally he is NOT her parent. While parents may allow their child to drink, a stepparent is a different animal and most likely committed a crime. How often did this happen? When did this happen?

Dad can definitely raise heck about it. It is very likely he could cause severe trouble for your husband -- as in trying to get criminal charges levied against him. If dad forced the issue he may even succeed in getting a restraining order against your husband.

Indiana Filer

but wouldnt the parents be charged with contributing to a minor, since the legal drinking age in most states is 21? furnishing alcohol to an underage person?
I believe Washington is one of the states that allows a parent to give alcohol to their under 21 children if that alcohol is consumed in the presence of a parent. The parent could not give the children's friends alcohol legally.

Rushia

I believe Washington is one of the states that allows a parent to give alcohol to their under 21 children if that alcohol is consumed in the presence of a parent. The parent could not give the children's friends alcohol legally.
Brief Hijacking: Whooohooooo! I'm a quote now! Thanks IF!

dannyt

parents need to set a good example for their kids

thats not setting a very good example for the kids who parents allow them to drink at home. sorry, just my opinion, but my sibs and i would NEVER be allowed to drink at home, and if we get caught drinking somewhere else, we'd be grounded.

Just Blue

thats not setting a very good example for the kids who parents allow them to drink at home. Sorry, just my opinion, but my sibs and i would never be allowed to drink at home, and if we get caught drinking somewhere else, we'd be grounded.
~~ k-dar~~

TinkerBelleLuvr

I, as a parent, can allow my underage child to drink in my presence. My child is NOT allowed to drink anywhere else. Period.

That is called "parenting style."

With that said, it MIGHT be a sip or two or champagne or wine. Child has tasted it and does NOT like wine or beer (she did like the blanc de noir.) It's not this mysterious juice that has an allure at this point.

We TALK about what is responsible drinking. I show good examples of how alcohol is handled.

The poster's problem was that it was NOT a PARENT who allowed the drinking. So, yes, SHE has a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">