• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parental obligation for funeral expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadmominohio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am divorced with custody of my children. Our child passed away and dad refused to pay for any of the funeral expenses. I need help paying for a headstone. Is he legally obligated to pay for either?

Antigone*

I am divorced with custody of my children. Our child passed away and dad refused to pay for any of the funeral expenses. I need help paying for a headstone. Is he legally obligated to pay for either?
I am sorry for your loss ~ this must be so hard for you. I recently loss my stepson to a drive-by shooting. His mother showed up at the coroner's office along with dad. They gave her almost $1000 that he had is in pockets. At the funeral home the arrangements were made, and Dad paid over $5000 and mom was going to come back with $1000 ~ she never did. We paid the balance.

It is a very sad situation. When a parent fails to be responsible in a child's life, they will most likely be that way in their death. Do what you can and don't expect anything from dad. Know that you did right by your child and honor his/her memory.

Again, my heart hurts for you and your family. I've asked God to give you strength and to grace you with His presence.

Love Her Like Jesus (Casting Crowns), ana

Gracie3787

No, he's not, until the court orders him to pay.
Take him to court.

andrewscott.us

You should try to find free funeral home services

Hi I feel so sad by hearing your thread.
If child's father refused to pay for any of the funeral expenses than you should neglect him and try to find free funereal home services available on the internet.

Thanks.

Antigone*

If child's father refused to pay for any of the funeral expenses than you should neglect him and try to find free funereal home services available on the internet.

Thanks.
You are new and I am sure you didn't realize, but the original poster hasn't replied to this thread since the initial posting. This thread is two months old. When threads get old and people post to them we call that necroposting and really isn't welcomed.

Take care, ana

rydejacob

Thanks.
Yes I am agree with Andrew. There are lots of option available on the internet for free funeral home service but they provide basic service. If you won't do that than claim the child's father.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes I am agree with Andrew. There are lots of option available on the internet for free funeral home service but they provide basic service. If you won't do that than claim the child's father.
You are NECROPOSTING. And quite frankly in Ohio dad would probably not be found to have to pay for a headstone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">