• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parental rights terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sanfran63

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada.
Can a mother terminate a fathers parental rights of a son who is over 18 years of age and without the son's knowledge?

Hisbabygirl77

what rights does a father have over an adult anyway? The mother has no "rights" over this adult either because hes an ADULT.

Hisbabygirl77

The only thing I can think of is maybe the son has some sort of disability where a guardian is needed? guess only poster can tell us.

sanfran63

I have 2 sons by by ex-husband, (now recently deceased). The younger son was adopted by my current husband. So ex-husbands parental rights were terrminated at this time which we all agreed to. Older son was over 18 at the time. Girlfriend of ex-husband is saying that ex-husband also terminated his rights to the older son at the same time as the younger son. Older son has been notified of possible money due him from his father's death and the girlfriend wants it stating the above as her defense. Just trying to find out his rights in this case. Or where I can look to find out his rights.

Proserpina

I have 2 sons by by ex-husband, (now recently deceased). The younger son was adopted by my current husband. So ex-husbands parental rights were terrminated at this time which we all agreed to. Older son was over 18 at the time. Girlfriend of ex-husband is saying that ex-husband also terminated his rights to the older son at the same time as the younger son. Older son has been notified of possible money due him from his father's death and the girlfriend wants it stating the above as her defense. Just trying to find out his rights in this case. Or where I can look to find out his rights.
It's unlikely that the relationship was severed; what might be important however is the nature of the monies.

Are we talking SSi/SSDI payments? Life insurance? Will?

sanfran63

It's unlikely that the relationship was severed; what might be important however is the nature of the monies.

Are we talking SSi/SSDI payments? Life insurance? Will?
I don't know yet. was contacted by JAG because he worked on an air force base at the time of his death.

Proserpina

I don't know yet. was contacted by JAG because he worked on an air force base at the time of his death.
Then it would appear that your son actually has more right to inherit than Dad's girlfriend.

(unless Dad has specifically excluded your son)

sanfran63

Then it would appear that your son actually has more right to inherit than Dad's girlfriend.

(unless Dad has specifically excluded your son)
I think if he did, the girlfriend wouldn't be so worried and trying so hard to contact my son.
Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">