• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents holding urgently needed medicine and mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MP100

State: Georgia

I do not know if this is the right place for this, but it says other family law matters, so hopefully this is the right place.

I am 18 and still in high school. Because of some recent family problems, I am know living with my aunt and uncle. My parents told me as long as I stay at my aunt and uncle's house they will provide a car for me to use and money for a few different things. My mom also said she would bring me any mail that came for me.

My parents did a few things that made me very angry and I will not talk to them any more and have not in over a month. I have found out however that my mom has some mail for me, including a ticket for an event happening in a few days. Some of my family members have talked to her and I have talked to my brother about this. She will not give my mail to my brother to bring to me and she got him to tell me she will not give me my mail unless I talk to her and meet with her in person. She also has not given me any of the money that she originally said she would and I do not expect to get any no matter what.

Another issue is she is also holding some prescription medication of mine. It is medicine she payed for before I stopped living with her. When I moved in with my aunt she said that she was going to only give me a little at a time. I assume this is because it is a medication that could be abused although I have no history of abusing it. She said she would leave it all for me, but when I checked most of it was missing. The problem is this medication is for anxiety and I do not take it often, but when I need it, I really need it. She emailed me saying if I need more medicine, I have to meet with her.

My questions are:
1)can she legally hold my mail until I meet with her in person?
2)can she legally hold prescription medication of mine even though I'm 18 and no longer living with her, until I meet with her?
3)I'm not trying to be selfish, but does a verbal agreement with my mom that she would provide me with some money and a car under the condition that I stay with my relatives have any legal meaning?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Grow up. Talk to your mom. And, your mom doesn't have to give you any money.

MP100

First of all I'm not expecting any money except for the fact she made an agreement to give me some money for food, school supplies, and things like that. Also doesn't the law say that parents must provide the necessities until 19 if a child is still in school?

Also I do not want to talk to my parents or be near them, my mom makes me miserable and constantly lies to me and I am scared of my dad. The conflict between my parents and me is a long story. They have done some terrible things and I want to stay away from them.

This is supposed to be a forum for legal advice. I asked questions on legal advice. I did not ask for advice on how to act in this situation. You do not know my current situation do not tell me what you think I should do, I just want to know what people know about laws involving what my parents are doing.

Zigner

First of all I'm not expecting any money except for the fact she made an agreement to give me some money for food, school supplies, and things like that. Also doesn't the law say that parents must provide the necessities until 19 if a child is still in school?

Also I do not want to talk to my parents or be near them, my mom makes me miserable and constantly lies to me and I am scared of my dad. The conflict between my parents and me is a long story. They have done some terrible things and I want to stay away from them.

This is supposed to be a forum for legal advice. I asked questions on legal advice. I did not ask for advice on how to act in this situation. You do not know my current situation do not tell me what you think I should do, I just want to know what people know about laws involving what my parents are doing.
Boy, you sure do have an attitude.
I can see your mother's point now...

Silverplum

Not in GA.
MP100 said:

Then stop whining, for Pete's sake. :rolleyes:
Legally, you are not to move out of your parents' house till 18.
Legally, you are a child under their rule/s. You didn't like that. You moved out. You will bear the consequences of your choice.

Being an adult comes with resposibilities, freedoms and choices.
You have 2 choices: Talk to your mom, or don't talk to your mom.
If you talk to your mom, then maybe she will turn over what you are expecting, or maybe she won't???
If you don't talk to her, then you have control of what you don't get but then you don't have to deal with the after math...
The choice and consuquences are yours. Welcome to the adult world.

Your questions are:

1)can she legally hold my mail until I meet with her in person?
Not legally, but she is, and you may have to confront her to get it.

2)can she legally hold prescription medication of mine even though I'm 18 and no longer living with her, until I meet with her?
Not legally, but she is, and you may have to confront her to get it.

3)I'm not trying to be selfish, but does a verbal agreement with my mom that she would provide me with some money and a car under the condition that I stay with my relatives have any legal meaning?
That sounds like nothing more than a verbal agreement, and my guess is that it is just between you and your mother. If your mom made the offer to your aunt and uncle, then that sounds more like a verbal contract.

Good luck in school...

MP100

Thank you for the people who answered the legal questions. I was not sure about the still in high school thing in Georgia.

I still want to know does a verbal agreement mean anything legally or no? I do not plan on trying to get any money from my parents either way. Also I did not choose to move out of my house and I did not leave before I was 18.

Zigner why do you even post? You are of absolutely no help.

If it is not legal for my parents to hold the mail and medicine then why should I have to contact them to get it back? Once again I am not looking for advice on how I should live my life, I'm looking for legal advice. Could I get police involved to retrieve the medicine and mail?
Should I contact a lawyer?

Also everyone who thinks I'm just being whiny, my dad abused me in the past and my, who watched him do it will not admit it happened and will not say she would tell the truth in court.

Zigner

Thank you for the people who answered the legal questions. I was not sure about the still in high school thing in Georgia.

I still want to know does a verbal agreement mean anything legally or no? I do not plan on trying to get any money from my parents either way. Also I did not choose to move out of my house and I did not leave before I was 18.
It's not a verbal "agreement". They don't have to give you any money.

Zigner why do you even post? You are of absolutely no help.
The funny thing is, I gave you the CORRECT answers. But, they weren't what you WANTED to hear :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If it is not legal for my parents to hold the mail and medicine then why should I have to contact them to get it back?
How would you expect to get it back? Let's assume it's not legal (it is legal, btw). The first thing you would have to do is ASK them for the items. Oh, wait - you don't want to do that. Gotcha!
Once again I am not looking for advice on how I should live my life, I'm looking for legal advice. Could I get police involved to retrieve the medicine and mail?
Should I contact a lawyer?
Or, you could ASK (gasp!)

Also everyone who thinks I'm just being whiny, my dad abused me in the past and my, who watched him do it will not admit it happened and will not say she would tell the truth in court.
A little cheese perhaps?

...Could I get police involved to retrieve the medicine and mail?
I'm guessing that the scrip and the mail have your name on them. Then yes, you can ask the police for help. I would also go to the post office and have your mail forwarded ASAP.

Should I contact a lawyer?...
You can, but you may find all the help advailable to you by contacting social services in your area.

Hope this helps.

mommyof4

Here's a thought. You're a big grown up now. You can make yourself a doctor's appt and go get a prescription yourself. Of course, as you are the big grown up, you will have to PAY for it yourself, too.

See, I'm betting that that medication your mother is holding for 'ransom' was probably purchased with her money and/or on her insurance.

If you want a car, go buy one.

If you want money, get a job.

If you want your mail, have it forwarded to your new address.

See? In none of the solutions do you actually have to deal with your family.

Ain't being a grown up grand?:D

MP100

Wow zigner, you still have not given me any actual legal advice.

First of all I do not expect any money from them and I have a job and have been paying for all of my own stuff. How is it not a verbal agreement if we verbally agreed on something though?

I will pay for my own medicine and medical care if I need to. I already said they paid for it in my original post to the person who asked, but my name is on the script, it is a controlled substance maybe they do not have to give it to me but is it legal to hold it? Wouldnt they need to dispose of it if they have no intention of giving it back? Also I think my mom has been taking some of it herself.

I will go have my mail forwarded, thank you for that advice. Whoever said I need to ask for my mail, if you read my post I already did and my mom promised she would drop it of as soon as it showed up. Also I dropped off a letter asking for it, and asked my brother to bring it to me but they wont give it to him. Is the mail not my property that I have control over?

and what the hell does A little cheese perhaps? mean in reference to me being physically abused by my parents? Once again I am not asking for personal advice on how to run my life.

Last edited:

Zigner

Wow zigner, you still have not given me any actual legal advice.

First of all I do not expect any money from them and I have a job and have been paying for all of my own stuff. How is it not a verbal agreement if we verbally agreed on something though?

I will pay for my own medicine and medical care if I need to. I already said they paid for it in my original post to the person who asked, but my name is on the script, it is a controlled substance maybe they do not have to give it to me but is it legal to hold it? Wouldnt they need to dispose of it if they have no intention of giving it back? Also I think my mom has been taking some of it herself.

I will go have my mail forwarded, thank you for that advice. Whoever said I need to ask for my mail, if you read my post I already did and my mom promised she would drop it of as soon as it showed up. Also I dropped off a letter asking for it, and asked my brother to bring it to me but they wont give it to him. Is the mail not my property that I have control over?

and what the hell does A little cheese perhaps? mean in reference to me being physically abused by my parents? Once again I am not asking for personal advice on how to run my life.
None are so blind as those who will not see...

Good luck

MP100

What the hell is wrong with you zigner? In what way have you given me any of the advice I have asked for? This is not a personal advice forum I do not want your opinion, I did not ask for it. You do not know my situation. My dad has chocked me and threatened to kill me in the past and my mom wont do anything about it, why is it wrong to want to stay away from that?

Zephyr

As has been said, forward your mail, you might also want to call the doctor tomorrow and report the other prescription stolen so that it can be replaced right away...although they may require you to report the theft to the police...and that will cause more problems with mom I suspect

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">