• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A parent's rights to prevent medicating child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimberlywrites

I feel the same way. In my years of experience thus far in working with developmentally challenged young ones, ADHD has unfortunately become a label to place on children who just need more one-on-one attention to meet their needs-not medication. I am seeing more and more now, teachers who are so quick to diagnose, rather than getting to the root of the problems. The types of behaviors presented in supposed ADHD children are "learned behaviors" (from children and parents) which can be remedied. Time and therapy for children is a wonderful alternative, and is usually all they need. I see only short term benefits in giving children meds. And only causing more dependency issues later on in their lives.

This is absolutely not true.
ETA: Children with untreated ADHD become teenagers with untreated ADHD, and their impulsivity is in fact why "just say no" won't work.

Last edited:

Isis1

Anybody else see this article?

Pesticides tied to ADHD in children in U.S. study | Reuters

Isn't it a shame this OP is all about "my rights" on whehter to medicate? What about his possibly ADHD child's rights? ADHD is a true medical/chemical/neurological condition that sometimes truly Does require medication. To deny an ADHD child that kind of help, when it is truly needed, is criminal.
i'm going to agree. he's not thinking about the child (from his post anyway) but on how to overrule mom. way to go dad!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">