• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partner Death in Marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dalindy114

What is the name of your state? New Jersey. My question is my mother was married since 1997. Her husband died 2 months ago. His children are now putting her out. There is no will. Just a deed to house in son's name. What rights does she have to stay in house? She has paper signed by him and witnessed but not notorized. I don't know what that means. Can you please help me with this? I need answers now. They want to put the house up for sale tomorrow. And her out by Oct. 1, 2005. They also want to give her $25,000. She nursed her husband their father for 5 years. Very sick he was. He would not have survived had it not been for my mother. My mother was there every day for him, not his 5 children. What Rights does she have? Thank you.

dalindy114

:confused: I live in New Jersey. How am I suppose to read the reply to my question. Will you e-mail me with it? Or what? Thank you for listening.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dalindy114 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey. My question is my mother was married since 1997. Her husband died 2 months ago. His children are now putting her out. There is no will. Just a deed to house in son's name.

MY RESPONSE: Okay. Got it.

What rights does she have to stay in house?

MY RESPONSE: Only from what you've stated, she has none.

She has paper signed by him and witnessed but not notorized. I don't know what that means.

MY RESPONSE: Neither do I. How about telling us what this "paper" says?

Can you please help me with this? I need answers now.

MY RESPONSE: I'd like to, but without knowing more, and especially what that "paper" says, how can I? We both need answers.

They want to put the house up for sale tomorrow. And her out by Oct. 1, 2005. They also want to give her $25,000. She nursed her husband their father for 5 years. Very sick he was. He would not have survived had it not been for my mother. My mother was there every day for him, not his 5 children.

What Rights does she have?

MY RESPONSE: Again, from what you've stated, she has none.

IAAL

nextwife

If there are marital assets, as spouse she'd have a right to a portion of those (joint accounts, securites, etc). She needs to consult a probate attorney.

The house was NOT his, so HE could not sign anything, notarized or not, that would have given her any rights to something he did not own!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">