• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity Matter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scott1760

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

My husband and I have been separated for 5 years now. I haven't had the money to divorce him, and I'm not even certain of where he is. He doesn't see the 2 children he and I have together, and he doesn't pay child support. I have been living with a man for some time now, and we are having a baby in January. I'd like to know if I have to put my husband down as the father on the birth certificate, if I can leave it blank, or if I can put my boyfriend's name on the birth certificate? I get a lot of mixed answers on this one, and I'm not even sure who I'd need to contact to inquire about it in my area. My goal is to be divorced by the time the baby gets here. I found a much cheaper way to complete the process by downloading the forms from the internet and filing them myself, but I'm worried that my pregnancy will delay it (or prevent) even further. If I file for divorce in the next month, what are my chances of having the process complete by the time the baby gets here? Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

My husband and I have been separated for 5 years now. I haven't had the money to divorce him, and I'm not even certain of where he is. He doesn't see the 2 children he and I have together, and he doesn't pay child support. I have been living with a man for some time now, and we are having a baby in January. I'd like to know if I have to put my husband down as the father on the birth certificate, if I can leave it blank, or if I can put my boyfriend's name on the birth certificate? I get a lot of mixed answers on this one, and I'm not even sure who I'd need to contact to inquire about it in my area. My goal is to be divorced by the time the baby gets here. I found a much cheaper way to complete the process by downloading the forms from the internet and filing them myself, but I'm worried that my pregnancy will delay it (or prevent) even further. If I file for divorce in the next month, what are my chances of having the process complete by the time the baby gets here? Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.
You will not get a divorce while pregnant. Your husband is the LEGAL father of the child. What you will need to do is file for a divorce and to disestablish paternity and have your boyfriend file a motion to intervene in the divorce to establish paternity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">