• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kantalope

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My question is about having a paternity test done. If I do not put the fathers name on the birth certificate (lets say I list it as unknown), and I do not go after him financially (child support), can he force (order) a paternity test and his name put on the birth certificate?

R

rslaght

Maybe you can help me out on this too

Here is a brief situation: My sister dated 2 guys at the same time-DUH...She ended up pregnant and left both guys. She contacted the first guy because that is the man she thought was the father when she had the baby she had DNA testing done with the first guy and he was not the father, she ended up back with the second guy and eventually married him when her baby was 5 months old he never took a paternity test because the other guy was excluded as the father he just agreed he was the father and signed the papers- he is on the BC..He has been the father for the last 5 years and now the first guy who has been excluded has been coming around saying he wants another DNA test and that it is his daughter and is threating to take her away. Can he legally demand another DNA test when he has already been excluded as the father?

skyy

I would suggest you start a new thread.

Most answers on this thread will pertain to the poster's original question, and she's hoping for answers for her particular issues. If you start your own thread, your answers will be be more geared to your specific issue.:) (Don't forget to include your state.)

C

craftymom

Seanscott said:
He can definitely ask for a paternity hearing & DNA test.
Just to add....

If he were found to be the father, he could then request to have his name put on the birth certificate, and possibly even petition to have the child carry his last name.

R

rslaght

Sorry

I apologize for posting my question on her thread..I did not realize that I should post a new thread. I thought people were responding to paternity questions here so I should post my question here. I apologize and will figure this computer stuff out shortly..I did start a new thread..Thanks and again I apologize..

K

Kantalope

Ok, thanks guys....that's what I figured....I do have an email that saying that he will let the baby carry my last name. He's just been verbally abusive towards me, and he emailed me that he didn't want to be involved, now he is saying that he wants to and I think that he's just doing it to be vindictive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">