• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity testing of adult child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Annsworld

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Dakota
My ex-wife and i had two children. Our son is now an adult. The circumstances at the time of conception were such that i have never been certain that he was MY son. Some health issues have come up and i feel it may be necessary to have us tested to determine that he is in fact my son. Should the finding be that this child is NOT my biological son, what is the ruling of child support that i paid over the past 10 years?

Antigone*

My ex-wife and i had two children. Our son is now an adult. The circumstances at the time of conception were such that i have never been certain that he was MY son. Some health issues have come up and i feel it may be necessary to have us tested to determine that he is in fact my son. Should the finding be that this child is NOT my biological son, what is the ruling of child support that i paid over the past 10 years?
:eek::eek: ~ Why didn't you address these concerns when YOUR son was a baby. Imagine the world of hurt you will be creating bringing this out now. You paid the support for years knowing the facts why would it make a lick of difference.

Just Blue

If you had concerns about the paternity of your child, the time to address this was when he was born. You are legally his father. You will not get back support you paid for YOUR child...regardless of Jr.'s DNA.

By all means have a paternity test if there are health reasons...But know that whatever the outcome you are still LEGALLY his father.

nextwife

He'll always be your son. However, a child does have a right to know if their parent's medical history is applicable and whether their parent is the bioparent. It is wrong to lie to a child, and may someday medically compromise their health to give incorrect family med histories.

Sorry, as a parent of a child who is not my biochild, I totally DISAGREE that the biohistory should be be wrongfully represented. It is IMPORTANT for a child to know if a legal parent is not a bioparent.

CourtClerk

Should the finding be that this child is NOT my biological son, what is the ruling of child support that i paid over the past 10 years?
The ruling is that you paid child support and you will not get it back. Whether or not he is your biological child doesn't matter. At this point, you are his LEGAL father, and that's all that matters.

As an aside, shame on you.

Just Blue

He'll always be your son. However, a child does have a right to know if their parent's medical history is applicable and whether their parent is the bioparent. It is wrong to lie to a child, and may someday medically compromise their health to give incorrect family med histories.

Sorry, as a parent of a child who is not my biochild, I totally DISAGREE that the biohistory should be be wrongfully represented. It is IMPORTANT for a child to know if a legal parent is not a bioparent.
And I agree with you. I was addressing OP's desire to recoup the child support $$ if his child is his biologically. OP has had doubts since the child was born...he should have addressed this issue then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">