• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Philadelphia Domestic Partnership for hetrosexuals

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gybeangle

I live in Philly, PA.

I'm hoping someone can help me get to the bottom of a very important question. Is their legislation allowing hetrosexual couples "domestic partnership" like status? I'm asking because I got a new job, and would like to add my fiancee to my health insurance policy. I called the health insurance provider and they told me it's up to my employer. I called my employer and they told me PA does not allow it.

After some research, I found that Philly has domestic partnership legislation for same sex couples but didn't find anything for hetrosexual couples. Some additional context, we live together, have a child together, are buying a house together, just not married. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

/gybe

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in Philly, PA.

I'm hoping someone can help me get to the bottom of a very important question. Is their legislation allowing hetrosexual couples "domestic partnership" like status? I'm asking because I got a new job, and would like to add my fiancee to my health insurance policy. I called the health insurance provider and they told me it's up to my employer. I called my employer and they told me PA does not allow it.

After some research, I found that Philly has domestic partnership legislation for same sex couples but didn't find anything for hetrosexual couples. Some additional context, we live together, have a child together, are buying a house together, just not married. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

/gybe
Get married. Easy peasy.

ecmst12

There is no domestic partnership status in PA, for same sex or opposite sex couples. However, it is super easy to get married in PA - go to the courthouse and ask for a self-joining (AKA Quaker) marriage license. Wait 3 days, sign it with 2 witnesses, and send it into the state. Boom, you're married. You'll get your certified copy back in a couple of weeks, but you can use the license to get your partner on your benefits as long as you do it within 30 days of when you sign the license. You can continue to plan your ceremonial wedding for whenever you like, and you don't have to tell the whole world that you've gotten married on paper beforehand, but you will be able to enjoy the benefits of being married right away. Since you're already planning on getting married, this should not be a big deal. PA is awesome that way.

ShyCat

After some research, I found that Philly has domestic partnership legislation for same sex couples but didn't find anything for hetrosexual [sic] couples.
Well, there's your answer: there's no domestic partnership legislation for heterosexual couples. No surprise since you are already provided a choice of statuses. Your choice is to remain single or get married.

ecmst12

That's not a state-level policy either, only the city of Philadelphia - it will not get the partner on the benefits.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's less that PA does not allow it, as the PA does not require it. If your employer wanted to allow it, the state would not prohibit it. Since your employer does not want to allow it, the state is not going to force them to.

However, clearly your employer would prefer to put the onus on the state, rather than take it on themselves. Or maybe whoever you talked to really does think it's a state law - it wouldn't be the first time by a long shot that someone confused company policy with state (or even Federal) law.

In any case, in your case it is simply not going to happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">