• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PINS petition ordered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mkp123

a "pins" petition was ordered by the judge in august 2000 for a 3 month period in buffalo new york for my son. the probation department never notified us of probation dates until december 18,2000 (1 month after the probation period expired and 9 days after his 16th birthday!!) When we contacted probation to explain the probation period had expired, they told us they would get back to us. no one ever did, and when we contacted them, they told us that the order had expired and that due to the fact that he was now 16, we could not reinstate the order!! they never did anything with the original order in time, so why should we have to suffer! this child is unbearable!! We are prepared to fight this with an attorney. Is it worth our efforts, and what is the law? Im sure the judge would not be too happy about knowing the probation department never followed through. What do you think??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mkp123 said:
a "pins" petition was ordered by the judge in august 2000 for a 3 month period in buffalo new york for my son. the probation department never notified us of probation dates until december 18,2000 (1 month after the probation period expired and 9 days after his 16th birthday!!) When we contacted probation to explain the probation period had expired, they told us they would get back to us. no one ever did, and when we contacted them, they told us that the order had expired and that due to the fact that he was now 16, we could not reinstate the order!! they never did anything with the original order in time, so why should we have to suffer! this child is unbearable!! We are prepared to fight this with an attorney. Is it worth our efforts, and what is the law? Im sure the judge would not be too happy about knowing the probation department never followed through. What do you think??
My response:

I don't know what "pins" stands for, or means. Perhaps it's an accronym for something used only in Buffalo, or in New York generally.

Suffice it to say, it sounds serious. And, judges everywhere really dislike it when someone, or some agency, fails to do their job, resulting in prejudice to someone else. If you feel the situation warrants it, see a local attorney as soon as possible.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 03-07-2001 at 02:48 PM]

M

mkp123

a pins petition stands for "person in need of supervision". This generally applies to children under the age of 16 who are a problem in the home,school, or with the law. The petition is requested by the parent and if the judge orders the petition, the child is required to meet with a probation officer on a scheduled basis for a certain period of time. If the child violates the probation in any way, they can go as far as placing the child in juvenile detention or a home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">