• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help---family matter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

littleCL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
Hello to everybody---New here
I will get right to the point. I married my husband 7 yrs ago and I moved in with him in a house that his mother and father owns. They promised after they paid the house off they would sign in over to my husband. He didn't get anything in writing he wished he had of now but trusted his parents that was a big mistake. They also insisted on paying the property tax as well. He has lived in the house for about 15 yrs now I have been here for 7 yrs. The house is paid off now and they have changed there minds. They came over here one day out of the blue we have all been getting along until then no complains on the house of any kind. They came to the house and started making demands telling us we had to do this and that and get rid of things they didn't prove off or we had to leave. They also went through our personal things which really made me upset. They also have keys to the house they will not give them to us. My questions are-----Do we have any rights at all? Can we change the locks on the doors? Do they have the right to tell us we have to get rid of some of our personal belongs or get out? I'm hoping we have something to stand on. Please help. If I left out anything you need to know to help me please ask. Thanks

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
Hello to everybody---New here
I will get right to the point. I married my husband 7 yrs ago and I moved in with him in a house that his mother and father owns. They promised after they paid the house off they would sign in over to my husband. He didn't get anything in writing he wished he had of now but trusted his parents that was a big mistake. They also insisted on paying the property tax as well. He has lived in the house for about 15 yrs now I have been here for 7 yrs. The house is paid off now and they have changed there minds. They came over here one day out of the blue we have all been getting along until then no complains on the house of any kind. They came to the house and started making demands telling us we had to do this and that and get rid of things they didn't prove off or we had to leave. They also went through our personal things which really made me upset. They also have keys to the house they will not give them to us. My questions are-----Do we have any rights at all? Can we change the locks on the doors? Do they have the right to tell us we have to get rid of some of our personal belongs or get out? I'm hoping we have something to stand on. Please help. If I left out anything you need to know to help me please ask. Thanks
Have you and/or your H ever paid a penny of rent?

littleCL

Hi silverplum
My husband paid them one time and after that they insisted that he pay them no more rent.
That was before we had even met.

littleCL

Hello senior Judge
Oh I forgot something very important. There is no paper work at all no lease no written anything. Just verbal that they would sign it over to my husband when they got it paid for. So do we still have renter rights? Thanks so much for taking the time out to help me. Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mmmagique

The law is it is their property. To do with as they please. When they please. They are not obligated to give it to you. Buy your own.

littleCL

Hello Ohiogal
Thanks for your advice. I will look that information up.:)

Hi mmmagique
I was afraid of that but that is life. It is really bad though when you can't even trust your own parents. We should have got it in written. Live and learn. We are planning on moving out as soon as we can. Thanks for your help.:D

Silverplum

Hello Ohiogal
Thanks for your advice. I will look that information up.:)

Hi mmmagique
I was afraid of that but that is life. It is really bad though when you can't even trust your own parents. We should have got it in written. Live and learn. We are planning on moving out as soon as we can. Thanks for your help.:D
Yeah, they were pretty awful to allow their son to live there, rent-free, for 15 years. And you, for 7.

Mean, mean meanies, they are.

:rolleyes:

penelope10

When one lives as an adult (as in paying for one's own housing) generally there is not a problem. You and your hubby chose not to live as adults. You chose to live in his parent's home rent free. He for 15 years and you for 7. As adults, if you and your hubby don't like what's going on, you are free to find an alternative living arrangement elsewhere.His parents don't have to give you the home.

littleCL

Silverplum
I really did appreciate the fact they did let us live here for that long without paying anything and we let them know that and told them many times we also done a lot of work to the house that we paid for which I think is the least we could do but they wouldn't except our money for anything. They could have got there point across without acting like a bunch of a**holes. You just don't know the whole story but I understand your point.

As for you Penelope10
The reason we had stayed here for so long is that they didn't want us to move out and they promised us they would sign the house over to us once it was paid for that is what they wanted to do for there son since we where haven't hard times. Now you can't tell me if your parents offered to buy you a house you wouldn't except it. That doesn't have anything to do with being an adult. You don't have to tell me about if me and my hubby don't like it move out
and that they don't have to give us the house. Duh I knew that. If they would have acting like adults and keep there word we wouldn't be having this conversation. Because I would have never moved in if I knew they where going to pull this stuff. I was an adult when I moved out of my other house into this one. I was paying for everything thank you very much and I can do it again.

mmmagique

Silverplum
I would have never moved in if I knew they where going to pull this stuff. I was an adult when I moved out of my other house into this one. I was paying for everything thank you very much and I can do it again.
Really? Free rent for seven years?!!! I would! In a heartbeat!!

proud_parent

Now you can't tell me if your parents offered to buy you a house you wouldn't except it.
If my parents had offered to purchase a home for me, no, I would not have accepted it. Neither would my spouse. Our parents raised us to be fiscally responsible. (Nevermind that our parents were too intelligent to have considered making such an offer, even had they means to do so.)

I was an adult when I moved out of my other house into this one. I was paying for everything thank you very much and I can do it again.
Well then, I'm sure you both can find yourselves a nice place of your own with the money you would have paid for rent over seven years. You have been investing those savings -- right?

littleCL

Hi mmmagique
Yes it was nice and we needed the help also. We both lost our jobs to Mexico and I had health problems. That stinks. :mad:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">