• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post Divorce Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

devahar

I live in state of New Jersey. We got divorced a year ago. 1.According our divorce agreement my ex husband suppose to get term insurance with our son as beneficiary. He does not intend to comply with this part of the agreement, saying that he cannot afford it, since he has a medical condition (high blood pressure) and any term insurance plan costs too much.
2.He also neglects his responsibilities in paying 50% of our son's medical bill. I carry medical insurance for myself and my child.
What my actions should be in both cases?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

devahar said:
I live in state of New Jersey. We got divorced a year ago. 1.According our divorce agreement my ex husband suppose to get term insurance with our son as beneficiary. He does not intend to comply with this part of the agreement, saying that he cannot afford it, since he has a medical condition (high blood pressure) and any term insurance plan costs too much.
2.He also neglects his responsibilities in paying 50% of our son's medical bill. I carry medical insurance for myself and my child.
What my actions should be in both cases?
My response:

I hope he told you this in writing. If not, write him a letter spelling out the portions of the order that he is failing to comply with, along with a demand that he do so within 10 days from the date of your letter. Give him a blank piece of paper, and a stamped return envelope, instructing him to write back with a reply. Hopefully, he'll put his "refusal" in writing.

Then, you've got him !

Haul his butt back into court for an Order to Show Cause Re: Contempt of Court.

Not only will he have to pay you per the order, along with your court fees and costs, and comply with the rest of the court orders, but as a bonus, you'll probably also see the judge order the bailiff to take your ex into custody, with his own pair of matching bracelets, and it's off to jail he goes.

You see, what your ex is forgetting is that there's a judge involved in those orders - not just the two of you. Judge's REALLY dislike it when someone disobeys their orders by deciding to do or not to do something as ordered. Further, to disobey a court order is a criminal offense, thus entitling your ex to an all expenses paid trip to the lovely "steel toilet" Hotel.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">