• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dalanjohnson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I currently live in KY with my 16 yr old son. My son wants to live with his 24 yr old sister in VA. Does his sister need a power of attorney for this? If so, from what state?

thanks

Hisbabygirl77

I currently live in KY with my 16 yr old son. My son wants to live with his 24 yr old sister in VA. Does his sister need a power of attorney for this? If so, from what state?

thanks
Most schools require more than a power of attorney to register child for school. Also, if she just has power of attorney and your child gets in any kind of trouble, suffers any abuse ect.... you will still be held responsible. Why on earth would you send a 16 year old to live with a 24 year old just because he wants to is beyond me but if your going to do it then she is going to need some sort of guardianship I believe. Wait for Senior members to post response as well.

dalanjohnson

School won't be an issue and the decision would be the lesser of two evils. It will get him away from some bad influences.

Hisbabygirl77

School won't be an issue and the decision would be the lesser of two evils. It will get him away from some bad influences.

How is school not an issue? Also remember as I stated any trouble he gets into ie finds new bad influences where sister lives you are going to be responsible for.

LdiJ

thanks
My sources tell me that VA school systems are very stubborn about insisting that someone have actual custody of a child before they will allow them to be enrolled in school.

Therefore, unless you are prepared to give his sister custody, he may not be able to be enrolled in school. If school is not an issue, then a POA is perfectly sufficient.

dalanjohnson

Thanks for the response. POA documents available online ask for a state. Should it be the state I reside in or the state his sister resides in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">