• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney for brother-in-law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

danielle chase

:mad: my brother-in-law was hit by a car in december of 1999 and severely injured. while he was layed up in the hospital, i became his power of attorney since he has never been married and had no one to take care of his financial business, etc. Since he was hospitalized and lives in a distant city, i virtually took care of everything for him, including hiring an injury attorney, getting him signed up for rental assistance and disability, paying his utility bills, etc., etc., - and then moving his belongings from a second floor apartment into a ground floor apartment since it was extremely difficult for him to go up any stairs. besides racking up over 1500 miles on my car, my husband and i also lent him about a thousand dollars. He assured us he would pay us back "when he got his settlement" from the accident, around 8/1/01 according to his attorney. i called him about three weeks ago and asked him for some of the money that he owes us, but he refused, saying that he felt we were"raking him over the coals".
i was told by a relative who had been power of attorney for someone that i am entitled to mileage reimbursement and that this is a state law and i have every right to demand he pay me for the mileage. i know that my brother-in-law would never believe that it was a state law unless he saw it in black and white. i need to know if this is a state law for sure and if so, what statute number it is. We all live in Wisconsin.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">