• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant with boyfriend yet still legally married to estranged husband... Advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecmst12

I don't think she didn't file because she couldn't afford it. I think she didn't file because she didn't think it was important, so she prioritized other things. It IS more than a piece of paper and letting things go indefinitely like she has is just lazy. She also lacks understanding about the real legal meaning of being married - if she'd thought about it, she would have realized it needed to be taken care of a long time ago.

OP, it's more than JUST this paternity issue. Do you realize that if you become incapacitated, your husband is the one with the legal right to make decisions for you? If you die suddenly, he gets all your stuff, or gets half of it if you have children, and he could get this even if you were to write a will disinheriting him. You need his permission to make anyone other than him the beneficiary of your life insurance or 401k. Do you see the importance now?

Just Blue

Of course it does...however for many people the filing fees alone for an unconstested divorce are beyond their immediate resources. Which is something that is often overlooked by these forums.

I agree. But apparently the cost of the child will be absorbed by the taxpayers. :(

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Of course it does...however for many people the filing fees alone for an unconstested divorce are beyond their immediate resources. Which is something that is often overlooked by these forums.
Sorry but you are incorrect. If someone cannot afford the filing fees, they can file to have them waived. They may have to fill out more forms but a filing fee is NOT necessary in order to get a divorce -- especially if someone is indigent. Courts nationwide have been very specific about that.

Just Blue

Ditto to you what I told LD. You are wrong as well regarding filing fees.
The fees might be waived by the court but a notinhurryadulteress may not check on that factoid. Although I am sure she check on Medicare and other public assistance. ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The fees might be waived by the court but a notinhurryadulteress may not check on that factoid. Although I am sure she check on Medicare and other public assistance. ;)
Ignorance is NOT a defense. So it doesn't matter whether the adulteress checked or not. Ignorance is not a defense or excuse.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Medicaid is the indigent health care program. Medicare system is what you pay into, along with Social Security taxes. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">