• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant girlfriend moving in!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adam1971

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My girlfriend with her daughter (8 year old) is about to move to my house which I bought 5 years ago as a sole a separate property. We are not married but she is currently pregnant with my child. I also have a child from previous marriage, who lives with my ex-wife. She is 19 years and we have a great relationship. So, eventually I would want to leave my house and all my assets to my biological kids not to my girlfriend child. I was wondering in case something won't work out, can my girlfriend go after my property or my assets? I did some research online and some people say she won't be entitled to any of my assets/house since everything was purchased before she moved in, some people say different things. Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Last edited:

Proserpina

My girlfriend with her daughter (8 year old) is about to move to my house which I bought 5 years ago as a sole a separate property. We are not married but she is currently pregnant with my child. I also have a child from previous marriage, who lives with my ex-wife. She is 19 years and we have a great relationship. So, eventually I would want to leave my house and all my assets to my biological kids not to my girlfriend child. I was wondering in case something won't work out, can my girlfriend go after my property or my assets? I did some research online and some people say she won't be entitled to any of my assets/house since everything was purchased before she moved in, some people say different things. Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Do you intend to adopt Mom's child?

Ladyback1

Hun? If you are already looking at "if things don't work out", you may want to reconsider having her move in...

ecmst12

You knocked up a 19 year old with an 8 year old daughter, and you are 43? According to your screen name anyway. But that's just gross.

Anyway, if you're not married she won't have any rights to anything you own. The only thing she can get from you is child support for the next 18 or so years.

Proserpina

You knocked up a 19 year old with an 8 year old daughter, and you are 43? According to your screen name anyway. But that's just gross.

Anyway, if you're not married she won't have any rights to anything you own. The only thing she can get from you is child support for the next 18 or so years.

He has his own 19 year old child...his girlfriend is pregnant and has an 8 year old. Mom's age isn't mentioned.

(At least that's what I took from it)

single317dad

If you have assets sufficient to warrant concern over who might inherit them, you should consult an attorney regarding your will and any actions you are currently taking and any you might conceivably take in the future.

Adam1971

My girlfriend is 35, not a 19 year old :)

Adam1971

I was wondering if I should have 'Living trust' or 'Last will' now before my girlfriend move in? In case something won't work out between me and her she wouldn't take me to court to divide/get my property. I really hope I won't need it, I just trying to protect myself.

LdiJ

I was wondering if I should have 'Living trust' or 'Last will' now before my girlfriend move in? In case something won't work out between me and her she wouldn't take me to court to divide/get my property. I really hope I won't need it, I just trying to protect myself.
She is not going to be able to take you to court to get any of your property. She would be able to file for child support, and your mutual child would be one of the heirs to your property, but other than that, again, unless you get married and deliberately comingle your assets, you have nothing to worry about.

Adam1971

What if we have Chuppah (Jews wedding ceremony). Will that reflect somehow? Could that be considered in court?

Thank you

CdwJava

What if we have Chuppah (Jews wedding ceremony). Will that reflect somehow? Could that be considered in court?

Thank you
So, you're going to have a make-believe wedding and not a real one? That's what she wants?

Since you are already making plans to cut her out of a share of any property you have and acting on the assumption this won't work, you have pretty much doomed the relationship to failure anyway. It seems clear you don't want to marry her, that you simply want her to live with you for your benefit and then when the time comes that you are bored with her, you want to successfully be able to part company without owing her a darn thing ... save for child support.

Wow ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">