• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

premarital agreement/overly involved future mother-in-law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

watercolor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
My fiance owns a business with his parents. His mother has drawn up a prenup to protect the business and also the home he owns. I understand that if we were to divorce I would not have any right to these assets but what about if he dies first? He once said if the business was sold he would be a millionaire. I did not work for any of this but do want to have enough money to sustain the type of lifestyle I currently have in the event of his death. I don't want to be a senior citizen who has to move out of the home we as a married couple lived for many years so his children can inherit it. Again, I just want to be able to support my current lifestyle (which is not extravegant). My questions are: Does this prenup apply to divorce and death? How do I determine how much money I should specify in either the prenup or a will to protect myself? I should also mention that I do not have anywhere near the value of his assets.

proud_parent

My fiance owns a business with his parents. His mother has drawn up a prenup to protect the business and also the home he owns. I understand that if we were to divorce I would not have any right to these assets but what about if he dies first? He once said if the business was sold he would be a millionaire. I did not work for any of this but do want to have enough money to sustain the type of lifestyle I currently have in the event of his death. I don't want to be a senior citizen who has to move out of the home we as a married couple lived for many years so his children can inherit it. Again, I just want to be able to support my current lifestyle (which is not extravegant). My questions are: Does this prenup apply to divorce and death? How do I determine how much money I should specify in either the prenup or a will to protect myself? I should also mention that I do not have anywhere near the value of his assets.
To be frank, if you are considering signing a prenuptial agreement, you really ought to spend the money to retain your own attorney and ask him/her these questions. At the very least, you will want to hire your own attorney to very carefully review the agreement to ensure not only that it protects your rights but also that it meets the requirements to be enforceable.

Also...if you think now that your future MIL is overly involved, do you anticipate she will be any different during your marriage? Or in the event that your future spouse predeceases the both you and his parents? Now is the time to consider very seriously whether a marital relationship with this man is worth the cost -- emotional as well as financial.

nextwife

Life insurance can also protect your future if he dies first. Buy a nice sized policy on him, if he's young you could get it cheap at this point.

And building your own career.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">