• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prenup after marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gypsymama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

This forum is great; I'm so glad I found it.

I got remarried in June; hubby and I agreed to a prenup -- dealing with tenant issues, construction, end-of-school, etc -- we forgot. Once we'd decided all the specifics, we just didn't go back to it.

He's offered to sign one still, if we can do it, even though we are married. I have been through a messy divorce 4 years ago, and my new hubby brought no assets to our marriage -- I have three children and own a home (duplex, which brought me to this forum yesterday) and a sizable business.

Can we still create a financial arrangement re: the house and the business (and his comic book collection, which he wants to put in :cool:). Is there a downloadable form to use or a book we could consult?

Thanks!

Kristi

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

This forum is great; I'm so glad I found it.

I got remarried in June; hubby and I agreed to a prenup -- dealing with tenant issues, construction, end-of-school, etc -- we forgot. Once we'd decided all the specifics, we just didn't go back to it.

He's offered to sign one still, if we can do it, even though we are married. I have been through a messy divorce 4 years ago, and my new hubby brought no assets to our marriage -- I have three children and own a home (duplex, which brought me to this forum yesterday) and a sizable business.

Can we still create a financial arrangement re: the house and the business (and his comic book collection, which he wants to put in :cool:). Is there a downloadable form to use or a book we could consult?

Thanks!

Kristi

you mean a post-nuptial agreement?

i goggled and found several interesting sites that might be of interest. depending on the wording of your agreement, it will vary if it can be contested in the event of a divorce.

Creating postnuptial agreements - Equality in Marriage Institute

Postnuptial Agreement -- Latest Trend in Promoting Harmony in Marriage

certain things like child custody (such as if you should have any additional children with your husband), or even winning the lotto

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Many times the only postnuptial that is upheld is a separation agreement after being signed by a judge.

gypsymama

Isabella,

Thank you! You answered my question in the landlord section also. I appreciate the links; I think it's just the answer I needed. I expect it's not something we'll ever need (the document), but then, that was my expectation in my first marriage also. :eek:

Kristi

Isis1

Isabella,

Thank you! You answered my question in the landlord section also. I appreciate the links; I think it's just the answer I needed. I expect it's not something we'll ever need (the document), but then, that was my expectation in my first marriage also. :eek:

Kristi
you're welcome. :D

but i think OG's answer was more to the point of "no". it's nice to have a contract between two consenting adults, but it seems the only thing that will hold up in court is a court seperation agreement...

fascinating though. :cool:

gypsymama

Yes, but reading it told me that a DIY postnup is probably not going to be helpful; that if we want to do one, I'll need to save up for two attorneys if I want it to be a potentially legally binding contract. I was hoping for a DIY option, but at the surface it looks not very viable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">