• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prenup downsides?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tagonte

Are there any potential cons or risks in getting a prenuptial agreement with a future spouse, about anything?

Indiana Filer

I don't understand your point. Did you mean that it's a downside that it's only an option for people in the US, or that it doesn't apply to US law? Please elaborate.
When you first posted on this board, there was a question asking the name of your state, along with the phrase "US Law Only". This site is for...US Law Only.

tagonte

When the agreement is done outside of the United States.

:rolleyes:
When did I specify that it was outside the US? It was my mistake not to specify at all, but if this forum is for US law only anyway, why should I need to?

If I may restate: Are there any downsides or potential risks in getting a pre-nuptial agreement in the US?

I am not trolling or going out of my way to play with anyone. I would really appreciate an answer or, if I am doing something wrong, what I can do to correct my mistake. Thank you.

Proserpina

When did I specify that it was outside the US? It was my mistake not to specify at all, but if this forum is for US law only anyway, why should I need to?

If I may restate: Are there any downsides or potential risks in getting a pre-nuptial agreement in the US?

I am not trolling or going out of my way to play with anyone. I would really appreciate an answer or, if I am doing something wrong, what I can do to correct my mistake. Thank you.

Let me rephrase this.

If you are within the US you need to tell us in which state you reside. For very simple and obvious reasons.

Your next question would be...?

tagonte

Thank you for taking the time to explain. As obvious as it may have seemed to those who have been here for a while, messages saying 'US LAW ONLY' don't do a very good job of telling newcomers that you want to know what state they're in. Apologies for not being thorough to begin with.

I am in California, and I want to know if there are any potential risks in signing a prenuptial agreement. My fiance and I are in our early twenties, living apart, and still learning to handle ourselves financially. She wants us to get together with her parents and then with their attorney to talk about protecting ourselves financially in the future, assumedly when we're married and living together. After researching prenups in general, I see no reason not to get one, but I would like a second opinion from anyone who has more experience. I feel that I would not get the whole picture from her family, who are distrustful of me and probably very biased that she protect herself from me, or their attorney, who I feel will push a prenup because he would like receiving several hundred dollars from us.

I realize the answer would depend heavily on what the prenup consists of, but are there any particulars I should watch out for when working it out with my fiance?

I_Got_Banned

My only advice is that you not dismiss anything that is presented to you as being unimportant or unrelated just because you think it is...

Don't skip over any questions that you may come across...

The quicker you get those questions answered, the quicker everything will become clear to everybody and that way, there are no misunderstandings later on!!!

;) Good luck!

LdiJ

Thank you for taking the time to explain. As obvious as it may have seemed to those who have been here for a while, messages saying 'US LAW ONLY' don't do a very good job of telling newcomers that you want to know what state they're in. Apologies for not being thorough to begin with.

I am in California, and I want to know if there are any potential risks in signing a prenuptial agreement. My fiance and I are in our early twenties, living apart, and still learning to handle ourselves financially. She wants us to get together with her parents and then with their attorney to talk about protecting ourselves financially in the future, assumedly when we're married and living together. After researching prenups in general, I see no reason not to get one, but I would like a second opinion from anyone who has more experience. I feel that I would not get the whole picture from her family, who are distrustful of me and probably very biased that she protect herself from me, or their attorney, who I feel will push a prenup because he would like receiving several hundred dollars from us.

I realize the answer would depend heavily on what the prenup consists of, but are there any particulars I should watch out for when working it out with my fiance?
The best I can advise you is to have it reviewed by an attorney of your own, before you sign it.

their attorney, who I feel will push a prenup because he would like receiving several hundred dollars from us.
Your concern about the attorney should be that he represents your fiancée's parents, and perhaps your fiancée. He does not represent you, nor does he have any obligations to you other than not to lie, cheat, or steal, in as few words as possible. He most certainly can ask that you sign a prenuptial agreement that is disadvantageous to you, if that is what his client wants. If he did so, he would be acting in the best future interests of his client, your fiancée, whose interests may, at some point, be averse to your own.

Therefore, don't sign a prenuptial agreement without obtaining your own legal counsel.

Silverplum

The best I can advise you is to have it reviewed by an attorney of your own, before you sign it.
Your concern about the attorney should be that he represents your fiancée's parents, and perhaps your fiancée. He does not represent you, nor does he have any obligations to you other than not to lie, cheat, or steal, in as few words as possible. He most certainly can ask that you sign a prenuptial agreement that is disadvantageous to you, if that is what his client wants. If he did so, he would be acting in the best future interests of his client, your fiancée, whose interests may, at some point, be averse to your own.

Therefore, don't sign a prenuptial agreement without obtaining your own legal counsel.
That's the 100% correct/true/best answer in prenups. Period.

And, poster, ALL anyone EVER asked was for you to answer the auto-fill question that opens every new thread posting for a reason: What is the name of your dang STATE? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Sheesh. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">