• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a prenup a good idea??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LoF

I was just wondering if there is any advice and/or help that can be given regarding this issue or maybe any other suggestions that you may have.

My fiance and I are going to get married, but we are worried about some issues that may come up because of the marriage and how it will affect both of our lives. I have already posted in another section about one of these issues (dealing with a possible child support issue for children in a previous relationship).

I am also running a business as an independent contractor, so how should something like that be addressed?

It has already been advised that we keep our financial matters separate, so should something like that be put into a prenup or any other type of legal document?

Is there anything else that I should consider adding to a document like this.

I've never done this before and it is my first marriage, so I'm just trying to cover all the bases right now so that everything will be taken care of correctly. My fiance does know that I am looking into this, he is doing a bit of his own research as well.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, entering in to a partnership with a convicted criminal is rarely high on the list of good ideas.

(I know, I know...you're in love)

LoF

I'm going to say again that I think you should reconsider the marriage at all.
Thank you for the comment and advice. I am just looking to cover all the bases before making a final decision. Isn't that what a person should do no matter what the situation is?

LoF

Yes, entering in to a partnership with a convicted criminal is rarely high on the list of good ideas.

(I know, I know...you're in love)
I may be in love, but I'm not blind. I am looking into all the options because I do love this person, so even if I can help him out by just giving him some information, then so be it. Not everyone has a perfect or even a good life and if there's a possibility to change at some point, then I believe that they can do so. I'm not saying in this case that I will change this person or do I plan to try to change this person. I know that he needs to change himself and he has said that is what he wants to do. I believe in chances being given to let someone prove others wrong (in this case proving that he can be a better person in the long run after having dealing with bad situations). I will not base my decisions on what a person has done in the past, but I will base it on the person I got to know and the actions and attitude he has for the future. I will take everything into account though and think long and hard about any decisions that I make.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I will not base my decisions on what a person has done in the past, but I will base it on the person I got to know and the actions and attitude he has for the future.
Presumably, he violated his probation/parole AFTER you met him.

LoF

Presumably, he violated his probation/parole AFTER you met him.
Yes it was, unfortunately, and now he is paying for it. As I've said, I'm just looking into information and options. There is still time for me to change my mind about any decision I may or may not make.

Just Blue

Yes it was, unfortunately, and now he is paying for it. As I've said, I'm just looking into information and options. There is still time for me to change my mind about any decision I may or may not make.
Run, not walk, away from this "man".

Best of luck to YOU. :)

Blue

LdiJ

I was just wondering if there is any advice and/or help that can be given regarding this issue or maybe any other suggestions that you may have.

My fiance and I are going to get married, but we are worried about some issues that may come up because of the marriage and how it will affect both of our lives. I have already posted in another section about one of these issues (dealing with a possible child support issue for children in a previous relationship).

I am also running a business as an independent contractor, so how should something like that be addressed?

It has already been advised that we keep our financial matters separate, so should something like that be put into a prenup or any other type of legal document?

Is there anything else that I should consider adding to a document like this.

I've never done this before and it is my first marriage, so I'm just trying to cover all the bases right now so that everything will be taken care of correctly. My fiance does know that I am looking into this, he is doing a bit of his own research as well.
Personally I also think that you should reconsider the marriage. However if you do go forward with it then I agree that a properly drawn up pre-nup (done by an attorney) is probably wise. The child support issue is a non-issue (for you) as long as you don't have joint bank accounts or own joint property. However, its quite likely that your potential future husband will have a hard time making a living, and that could significantly impact you should you and he ever divorce.

LoF

Personally I also think that you should reconsider the marriage. However if you do go forward with it then I agree that a properly drawn up pre-nup (done by an attorney) is probably wise. The child support issue is a non-issue (for you) as long as you don't have joint bank accounts or own joint property. However, its quite likely that your potential future husband will have a hard time making a living, and that could significantly impact you should you and he ever divorce.
Thank you so very much for the advice that you have given. :) I do appreciate that you took the time to write what you did and not just say "Run Away". Yes I do understand why that is being said, but I can't help but look at all the options possible before making a final decision regarding this issue.

Proserpina

I do agree although FWIW, both parties should ideally have separate legal counsel when drawing up a prenup.

And per your other thread, OP - watch for those pesky joint tax returns!

LoF

I do agree although FWIW, both parties should ideally have separate legal counsel when drawing up a prenup.

And per your other thread, OP - watch for those pesky joint tax returns!

Thanks for the additional information. :) I do appreciate everything that is being shared here about my topics.

I will mention that fact about having separate legal counsel to him when we next speak.

That is another issue I'm not looking forward too. Taxes aren't too much fun as it is, even if it's a pretty simple Home/Business situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">