• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prior Debts bef. Marriage - Can They Come aFter Me for His Debts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

byy625

What is the name of your state? California

Considering marriage - he has huge child custody debt on his credit. He is paying what he can and regularly but is in arrears and also is not paying as agreed). He also has other things on his credit (two repos)

I own a home and have $20K in stocks - I make a good salary. If I marry him can they come after me for his stuff? Specifically:

1) Can they take my house/ put a lien on my house? If so, would keeping his name off of the title help?

2) Can they take my stocks?

3) Would a pre-nup be able to protect me from that happening? Even if so, when we marry we will live here and he will pay half the mortgage. It seems fair that half the house is his - I can't afford it without him (previously had a boarder) - so it seems weird to me to have a pre-nup that says they can't attach the house when he will be paying 1/2 the mortgage.

Thanks

Seanscott

Uncle Sam can (and will) take your tax refund check if you file jointly.

Anything that has his name on it can be taken for past support.

G

gooberitiz

so it seems weird to me to have a pre-nup that
says they can't attach the house when he will be paying 1/2 the mortgage.
================================

When he pays off his debt THEN and only THEN, add him to the deed, of course if you are still married.

Or else just live with him....its saves you the aggrivation of dealing with all of this.

oh no.. you are DESPERATE to get MARRIED!

haiku

think really hard before you marry someone who cannot pay his child support debt. legally there are ways to protect yourself, but somehow it is still going to knock you on your butt financially.

Are you prepared to have to keep ALL your finances separate? To never own anything jointly. (he will likely never own anything of his own, unless he pays off his debt, and continues to pay as he is supposed to) to take a tax hit because you cannot file jointly, and if you do, wait months for your injured spouse return? do you want to take on the burden of his child support arearages? to choose between his bills and your bills? to ALWAYS have that financial spector over your head?

please make sure your possible future spouse is already taking care of his current responsibilities before he marries you!

love is wonderful, but there is nothing romantic about someone who cannot pay his own way......

good luck to you....

B

byy625

Prio Debts Before Marriage

Hey - many thanks to the three people who wrote me. Somethign to think about - and this is much appreciated

Thanks again

And no, I am not desperate to get married ;-)

B

VeronicaGia

Keep everything, and I mean everything, separate. When you file taxes, if you file jointly, file an "injured spouse" form so you receive your portion of any refund.

Don't put his name on the title of the house, or it will become attachable for 1/2 of any equity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">