• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with my sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Matt49

Hello group,

I'm faced with the problem of having to put my mother, 91 years old, in an assisted-care home, which is very expensive. My sister refuses to help with this expense. She has plenty of money. She just doesn't want to kick in her share.

I have borne every major expense my Mom has had for the past 20 years: I bought her new cars on two occasions, paid thousands of dollars for insurance payments and have always been there for her emotionally. This has been hard on me, too, since I live in Arizona and Mom lives in Florida. My sister, who lives in New Jersey, has contributed nothing at all all these years. But this assisted-living center is hugely expensive, and I need her to pay her share.

Is there any way I can legally force her to do so?

Thank you,
Matt

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are not responsible for the expenses. Your MOTHER is. You cannot force your sister to pay for anything. You need to get guardianship of your mother or have your mother sell her property then use the money from the sale(s) to pay for the care and sign your mother up for medicare/medicaid.

Your sister's share: NOTHING. Your share: Nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">