• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Procedure/actions to evict former lover?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ropedinfive

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
What procedure/actions do I need to take when a person who has been residing in my home is violent and refuses to vacate the premises?
I am sole property owner.The person I want to vacate said premises WAS "significant other" but the relationship is over! He has lived here approx. a year and a half.NO 'rent" was ever charged.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What procedure/actions do I need to take when a person who has been residing in my home is violent and refuses to vacate the premises?
I am sole property owner.The person I want to vacate said premises WAS "significant other" but the relationship is over! He has lived here approx. a year and a half.NO 'rent" was ever charged.
File an eviction against your tenant.

Ropedinfive

reply to xylene

What did the police do when you called them over these criminal acts?
The police calmed him down enough to satisfy themselves and left...I was not asked if I wished to file charges.( He actually took two guns out and was sitting there with them when police arrived.)

Proserpina

Can you tell me how and where to file for eviction?Do I need an attorney to do this?? Any idea how long he can stay here after papers are filed and he is notified?
THANK YOU
He can stay until he is court-ordered to leave - once you file eviction you will receive a date for the court hearing (usually about two weeks later but can vary. He certainly has until that time (and usually will have a few more days after the order is made) until he must vacate.

ecmst12

An attorney will certainly make the process easier for you. If you don't want to hire one, you need to research LL/T law in your state to find out the proper procedure for eviction. It usually starts with a 30 day notice to terminate a month-to-month tenancy, which must be in writing and is usually best to send by certified mail.

If he is violent and you are able to get a restraining order, then that will make the process easier since he won't be able to be in the house while you are there. But you will still need to follow through with the court process to make it official, unless he moves out all his stuff voluntarily before the 30 days notice is up.

LdiJ

If he is violent you should get a restraining order...but still go through the process of eviction as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">