• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property division upon death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dig-dug

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My wife seems to think that my daughter from a previous marriage would get everything I own(the house,truck,motorcycle etc...) if I where to die before her.My daughter is 15 yrs old and lives mainly with her mother but I do have joint physical and custodial care with her. What does Minnesota law say about this ?:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nextwife

How is ownership on each of these items held? Some may pass to wife outside probate. And what are the beneficiary designations on IRAs, 401Ks, any annuities and/or various life policies?

Do you have any life insurance to benefit your child? Why doesn't your wife also obtain a life insurance policy on you for her own protection. Also, none of her seperate assets would be subject to estate distribution if you die.

Do you have a will?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My wife seems to think that my daughter from a previous marriage would get everything I own(the house,truck,motorcycle etc...) if I where to die before her.My daughter is 15 yrs old and lives mainly with her mother but I do have joint physical and custodial care with her. What does Minnesota law say about this ?:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If you own those things separately, you wife is at least 1/2 correct if you don't leave a proper will.

1/2 of everything that you own could go to your daughter if there is no will spelling it out.....and everything that goes to your daughter would be under the control of her mother (if she is still a minor) unless your will spells it out differently.

If you are unwilling to add your wife as an owner of major assets...(and I don't blame you for not wanting to do so) you should at least make a proper will....and that wil should put any assets that you leave to your daughter into trust, to ensure that the assets actually go to you daughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">