• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property left in my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buckeye1288

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello-

I was divorced 9 years ago. My ex-husband and I attempted to reconcile, and he moved back into my house. After 6 months, I realized it was a big mistake, and he moved out. The problem is, he left behind all of his furniture, lots of clothes, and boxes upon boxes of miscellaneous items. He has been out of the house for 5 months now. He changed his address at the post office 2 1/2 months ago.

I moved all of his stuff to my garage, and he said he would come and get it out of there. That was months ago, and I can tell he has no intentions of getting it anytime soon.

My questions are:
How long until it is considered legally abandoned property?
Can I legally load everything into a truck and drop it in the driveway of his current residence?
What other options do I have to force him to remove his property?

I can't stand having all of his junk in my garage for another day! Thanks for any insight...

justalayman

I cannot seem to find any applicable laws that would direct you on how to treat the property and eventually dispose of it. There is another thread on the forums here that the OP had claimed to have the advice of an attorney and then listed the actions that attorney had suggested. The actions seem reasonable an inline with the laws of several other states requirements.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/oh-how-dispose-abandoned-property-393083.html

I understand that one is dealing with a renter but the property issue should be the same.

buckeye1288

Thank you, justalayman, for finding that post for me.

I find it hard to believe that there are no set laws in Ohio about situations like this, I would imagine it would happen quite often. I think I will mail a certified letter to him stating my intentions and give him a 2 week timeframe to remove his stuff.

If he doesn't get it, I guess I'll make a nice donation to charity :rolleyes:

If anyone else out there has an opinion, please share.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">