• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property/marriage, etc...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

indiu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My wife and I are not LEGALLY separated but we agreed back in March that we should separate.
We both mutually agreed that I am the one that move out. So I did. Now I am wanting to come back home and I am getting resistance. We both say we do not want a divorce.
We are both unemployed, I lost my job back in April due to downsizing, and financially we cant afford for us to be in separate locations, Mortgage and rent.
The house mortgage is in my name, she is not on the mortgage...only the Property tax.
I am the only one that signed all the papers at the closing AND refinance (Jan 09).
Is there anything that can stop me from moving back into my own house. I still have stuff in the house, keys, garage remote, etc...

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My wife and I are not LEGALLY separated but we agreed back in March that we should separate.
We both mutually agreed that I am the one that move out. So I did. Now I am wanting to come back home and I am getting resistance. We both say we do not want a divorce.
We are both unemployed, I lost my job back in April due to downsizing, and financially we cant afford for us to be in separate locations, Mortgage and rent.
The house mortgage is in my name, she is not on the mortgage...only the Property tax.
I am the only one that signed all the papers at the closing AND refinance (Jan 09).
Is there anything that can stop me from moving back into my own house. I still have stuff in the house, keys, garage remote, etc...
No, she cannot stop you from moving back into the house...BUT...you could be setting yourself up for a domestic violence charge or a restraining order. Therefore you need to make absolutely certain that you do not so much as raise your voice or lift a finger against her, no matter WHAT she does.

nextwife

It might be a good idea to have a friend with a camcorder accompany your move in. That way you could rebut any DV claim with video proof.

In this economy, people need to move beyond what they "want" or prefer, to what is an economically sound approach. There is a mortg
age out there for which there is a responsibility. If two households is not do-able due to your incomes, you may not be able to afford two seperate households right now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">