• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Rights in Oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jmcelravy

I have a friend that is going through a divorce. It was suppose to be a simple divorce that has lead to many issues. Together my friend and his soon to be ex wife bought a house. About a month after they bought the house they had a seperation and the wife rented her own apartment for the next six months. She would come and visit the house while his kids (from previous marriage) were down visiting but lived in her own place for the 6 month period. After that they decided that they wanted to get a divorce since my friend was seeing someone else. She asked to move back into the house to save money while they completed the divorce. She lived there for 6 more months while they tried to get the divorce completed but nothing happened. She stopped paying all bills and then finally moved out of the house completely. She hasn't paid any joint bills and has now ruined both my friend and her credit. He has since moved his current girlfriend into the house with her two kids and his two kids from the previous marriage (his kids are every other weekend). She now wants him to either sell the house or sign it over or she will not agree to the divorce. He has tried to explain that since she helped ruin the credit this is impossible to do at this time. She wanted to give him a year to sign it over or force him to sell when the divorce paperwork was first written up. He disagreed to this and asked that it just be written in that he was responsible for the house. She wants no liabilty to the house. What can be done as far as this situation? Can she force him to sell the house in order to get the divorce completed? If she signs her name off of the title (she would still be on the loan) What would this do to her? What legally can he do to protect his house and his future with this divorce?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">