• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Magnay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

After my father's death two years ago, my mother recently met a man who she is now living with in her home. This man has a criminal background (felony) but was released from a federal prison in 2007. I'm concerned because there are many things about this man that do not add up. He recently began doing major renovations on the house which has substantial value (beach location). I'd like to know the best way to handle this situation. I have expressed concern to her but she is in love and does not want to hear anything negative. Is there some recourse I can take to help her protect herself financially?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

After my father's death two years ago, my mother recently met a man who she is now living with in her home. This man has a criminal background (felony) but was released from a federal prison in 2007. I'm concerned because there are many things about this man that do not add up. He recently began doing major renovations on the house which has substantial value (beach location). I'd like to know the best way to handle this situation. I have expressed concern to her but she is in love and does not want to hear anything negative. Is there some recourse I can take to help her protect herself financially?
If she is an adult and this is her property then it is her choice to make. The only thing you can do is have a conversation with her. Unless you can prove her LEGALLY incompetent you will not be able to control her decisions or her assets. Other than that, your mother has a right to live her life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">