• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting Assets, No Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glo615

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey...

My mom (81 yrs old) has been separated from my dad for about 50 years, but not divorced. My dad has been living in California for the last 35 years and recently "died" in the hospital.

The deed to her house was put solely in her name in 1970 using an attorney. She is concerned about her other limited assets, an IRA type annuity and her mutual fund account possible being at risk from any unpaid medical bills from my dad's recent surgery and 4 week hospital stay (my dad only had medicare insurance).

My mom wants to make sure her house is truly safe also. She remembers paying him a dollar when the deed was put in her name.

My mom is on SSI, but still wants to make sure she is safe from and judgements, etc. Thank you.

Philip

PS...My dad had no will that I know of and no assets in California other then a few personal belongings and a older car worth only about $1500.

glo615

I was told in the Divorce forum that my question would be better posted here....Forgive any inconvenience....Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">