• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Putting name on birth certificate even if you're not the father

• Thread starter keywestsunshine
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

keywestsunshine

What is the name of your state? GA

My son's new girlfriend was pregnant by another guy when he met her. She gave birth last night and the question we are faced with now is...........she wants to put my son's name on the birth certificate as the father. My son was there for the birth and is willing to help her raise the child; however, if she puts his name on the birth certificate, is he then liable for child support, etc... in the event they do not stay together? I'm thinking he would be but I'm wondering if there are any papers that can be drawn up to protect him?

nextwife

You are wise to recommend he be cautious, especially if their time together has not been very long. He CAN help support the child at this point without putting his name on the birth certificate. He can still be there and lend her emotional and financial support.

If the biofather knows of the pregnancy, he will still have a right to seek paternity establishment and visitation or joint custody. Your son falsely claiming paternity cannot stop that. All his false claim of paternity can do is legally bind him to support the child, even if their time together as a couple is short-lived. And stop the child from being able to know who their biofather actually is.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">